Symptoms of AS

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have been having back problems since my early 20s and i am now in my late 30s. Last year in February I had just had enough of the pain so went to the doctor who sent me for an x-ray which confirmed i have inflammation in my sacroiliac joints. I have been prescribed co-codamol and naproxen which help with general pain but hardly touch it when i have a flare up. I had a bad flare up 2 weeks ago so rang the GP who sent me for blood tests now these have all come back clear for inflammation. So where do i go from here? I have the symptoms of AS i can hardly move when i first get up in the mornings and i have painful feet. I am ok walking but as soon as i stop and stand still my lower back and hips are complete agony. I also get pain in my neck and shoulder which causes me headaches. Can a person have AS and clear blood results? And what should i be asking for next from the GP because i do not want to be fobbed off any longer with its just back pain. From what I've read online sacroiliitis is the start of AS and my x-ray showed that clearly.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

hi there sorry to hear your in pain you really need to be talking to a rheumatologist who can advise you on treatment and maybe physio . have you been diagnosed with a.s? if so a rheumatologist can start you on better treatment and have a clear view of where to go with your condition. getting a clear diagnosis is the first step took 10years to get mine,and you have to fight for everything you get as it can take time.im sorry if ive not been helpful or a bit of a dooomsday.

• Posted

Hi. I've not been diagnosed with AS I asked my GP to refer to a rheumatologist but my GP said I would have to have blood tests first to see if I have any inflammation and then he would refer me. These tests came back clear so i spoke to my GP again yesterday who then said he would refer me for physio. I have asked for an MRI but before he will send me for one of those he wants to now see me first. This is what I want a clear diagnosis of something before I start physio or anything else. I just feel like my GP is not listening to me and that giving me physio without actually knowing what is wrong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.