Symptoms of Barrett's Oesophagus

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello can someone help me here as I have to wait 3 weeks for scopes and keep googling and its freaking me out. I have been diagnosed with mild Gerd around 15 months ago, since coming off antidepressants I had a bad stomach cramps attack and now have trouble swallowing food, a feeling of fullness in my stomach, sore throat, burping  non stop, feeling globus and can only eat small amounts of food as I feel it gets stuck in my throat and oesophagus. Google tells me there are no symptoms of Barrets that the patient feels. I was hoping someone could tell me what did they feel or are there symptoms if you have it?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Barrett's has no symptoms. Symptoms you feel are from reflux of acid and bile that causes it to form to protect the body from digestng itself.

Swllowing difficulties should always be investigated which is why you're getting scoped soon.

Your other symptoms are all concommitant with reflux.

• Posted

Thank you Barretts for your reply that is the problem though is it just Gerd or am I in trouble I can't tell the difference??

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Barrett's Oesophogus late Nov. 2016. Earlier in the year I was having trouble with swallowing my food and getting stuck part way down my esophagus..Not every meal by any means,only once in while. The only relief to this was if I had a glass of water near by I could get the food to go down otherwise I had to get to a washroom and vomit the food out. 

After a few months of this my better half said I needed to see a Doctor. Told her off my issue and she booked me at the local hospital for a barium swallow. Results were a minuscule narrowing in my esophagus. Next was off to see a Gastroenterologist and he recommended having a scope done. 

Results of the scope were extreme inflammation of my lower esophagus and he diagnosed Barrett's Oesophagus caused from silent reflux. Over the years I never really had a heart burn issue. But I quess silent reflux you don't realize the damage until the symptoms start showing up. 

I am now  taking 40 megs twice a day of Pantoloc for six months than reduce to 40 megs once a day and go for a rescope in 3 years. 

Since taking the pills I have not had any more problems with my swallowing of food but was diagnosed with PMR in mid December 2016 

Good luck with your

• Posted

what are the symtoms of PMR Magilla.

​I have sjogrens also (+ esophagitis, chronic gastritis, GERD , minimal Barretts, osteoporosis, osteochondrosis of cervical vertebrae 6/7 and secondary cataract developing in both eyes ...i have punctal plugs to stop dry eyes  )

​I have had extremly painful shoulders joints , neck , elbows , collar bones ..to the point where everyday life was impossible...started off with a painful lump on the left shoulder with fever. Xrays showed osteochondrosis of C 6/7, had 9 sessions of physiotherapy ...didnt help...all this was since early January ...now the pain comes and goes on an hourly basis...cant lie on my sides due to pain and 1st thing in the morning usually stiffness is worse...then comes and goes ..knuckles and wrists also affected. I know i should go and see my rheum but i know he will put me predisolone. is there a definitive test for PMR or just try predisolone and see ?  Sorry for such a long msg .  

• Posted

I use to deal with this and believe it or not you can change your diet and life style and fix this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.