Symptoms of dissection

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good Morning,

I have an ascending thoracic anorta aneurysm and am scheduled for elective surgery November.  My question to the group is, what are the symptoms of dissection in the event it happens before I go in for surgery?  I do have a stent that was put inside my heart in April, and it seems as if I am having more heart pains in my chest.  Any info will be appreciated.  

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a dissection of the aorta. I felt a moderate pain under my breastbone one afternoon, and it felt like it slowly moved from the top of my breastbone to the bottom of my breastbone. The pain wasn't intense, just strange. After 30 sec or a minute the pain was gone. I was undecided about going to thread ER until, a few minutes later, my right leg stopped working. I couldnt move my leg! That made me go immediately to the ER where, after a lot of tests they told me that I had an aortic dissection and wheeled me in for emergency surgery. Everyone is different, though, and I think a lot of people get intense pain that drives them to the ER.

• Posted

Wow!!! timothy are you ok? When did you have your surgery? How do you feel at the moment? How old are you?I'm Reading all stories on this forum as well and waiting and see if my aneurysm grows further ( it's just been diagnosed at 4cm, I'm 54 yrs but also very small 1.58cm and 52 kg. I'm already thinking of surgeries etc, and fricking out😰!!!thank god everybody shares experiences. 

• Posted

Ana, I'm doing well now two months after my surgery. I'm one of the lucky people who had absolutely no pain after surgery. I was in the hospital for nine days after my surgery. I fortunately didn't have time to dread my surgery since it was emergency surgery. I feel good but seem to need a little extra sleep so often nap for an hour or do in the afternoon. My right leg now tires much more quickly than my left leg and can't walk long distances yet but am told my leg might improve with time.

I'm 58 years old. My mother had an aneursym in the same place as mine and they waited until it exceeded 6cm before they decided to do surgery. It is possible that your aneurysm may not grow much more. If it does continue to grow and you need surgery, I have read that some aneursyms can be fixed without open heart surgery via a stent threaded up an artery and into place in the aneurysm.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.