Symptoms of globus with breathing issues and digestive issues for almost a year. Tried everything!

Posted , 4 users are following.

About a year ago I started experiencing stuffiness after eating. Pretty similar like the feeling you'd get after just eating an entire Christmas dinner. I went to my GP with breathing problems. At first she figured it was stress so she sent me to a psychosomatic physical therapist; who eventually send me back to my GP after not experiencing any reducing of symptoms. After a couple of months I got a more clear view of my main, persistent symptoms:

• tightness around chest (starting right below my ribs, mostly after eating though sometimes randomly). This would often come with a discomfort coming from the spot where my stomach is, below the ribcage in the middle.
  • the feeling of food not going down properly, paired with globus. I constantly felt like I was THIS close to barfing while nothing came out if I tried.
  • I'd experience massive breathing issues, probably because of this or perhaps it was causing this. At worst I'd feel like I had to move my entire body to just get enough oxygen. At best I'd feel out of breath a lot of times.

A year later and I've tried various things;

• ENT check where they went inside and it all looked good.
  • psychosomatic physical therapy where I tried breathing exercises. No result.
  • I went on a diet to check if my IBS was causing this; no result.
  • Yoga to relieve stress
  • I had a check where they put a tube down my throat to check my esophagus and stomach, nothing wrong there.
  • osteopathie.

Next I'm having lung photos taken. But I'll doubt it'll show anything. I'm experiencing muscle aches on my shoulder blades almost daily.. Probably due to all the weird breathing I've been doing.

It's been a year and I still have no answers. I'm questioning my sanity and I'm fearful my GP is starting to feel the same way. I'm always tired my entire body aches from all this and I just don't know what to.

A few weeks ago I had the first major cold I've had in 2 years (due to all the Covid measures I had followed I guess. And though I was now founding it harder to breath more than ever, nose completely plugged up and everything, the weird thing was that my globus completely disappeared. I was sink beyond believe but NO globus at all. And I kid you not, as soon as my nose cleared up and the cold left my body.. There it was again. Full globus. I wonder if that could mean anything? I've also gained about 15-20kgs in the past 2 years. Not sure if it matters.

Any suggestions? I'd be more than grateful for any guidance. I live in the Netherlands so coming here should tell you how desperate I am.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

without being an expert but suffering from a similar type of problem, your case sounds mostly physical to me, in opposition to psychical. So you should probably first continue in this direction.

Wish you a lot of luck!

• Posted

hi i never read something to so spot on , im dealing with the same thing . was told it was acid reflux . here i am 2 years later dealing with everything you just said . did the doctors figure out what it is ?

• Posted

I have been dealing with the exact same thing for almost 3 years now. The symptoms are all the same. Mine began with the feeling that I couldn't catch my breath. My doctor did multiple tests, tried many treatments but to no avail. Next came the nausea and then the lump in my throat. Shortly thereafter was the constant gaging followed by vomiting. My current GI doctor has run me through the gauntlet of test and wants me to try a test I was unable to complete previously. It is called a Manometry; I couldn't do it because I would gag the entire time, they were trying to insert the probe. I have been told that I am suffering from GERD. They want to do a surgery where an elastic band strung with magnetic beads goes around my esophagus to stop stomach acid from backing up into my throat. The surgeon, however, is very hesitant to do the surgery because the barium swallow test showed an abnormality in about the middle of my throat. Food is becoming lodged there. The surgeon feels that the surgery would only worsen my symptoms. So, if I am once again unable to complete the Manometry test, our next step would literally be trial and error to see what works. I was told we could try Botox to relax the muscles to see if it would allow food to pass normally or we could try some medications to relax the muscles.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.