Symptoms of Pancreatitis, confused

Posted , 3 users are following.

Could anyone tell me the main symptoms for Pancreatitus. I have severe pain LUQ, under ribs then radiates to centre, just below breast bone. The pressure buils up to such a degree, that I am unable to touch that area. I take strong painkillers and the pain finally subsides. I have been diagnosed with a large solitary gallstone, cold this be agrivating the problem. Also, how long do pancreatitis attacks last for, are there other symptoms and how do you feel after attack has gone. Any help on this would be most grateful.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Elaine,it doesn't sound like pancreatitis,when I have an attack the pain is terrible but the abdomen is not painful to touch it sounds like the gallstone is the problem,with my pancreatitis the pain never truly goes away,hope this helps,take care
    • Posted

Thanks David for your reply. Think I'm now going to go ahead with operation as life is too short to be in pain. I have had to go down the route of having different tests to illuminate other conditions and knowing my pain is only due to my gallstone. I would hate to have gallbladder removed, only to be left with the same pain.

Wishing you well, God Bless and you take care. Thanks again

• Posted

Hi Elaine,I think you are making the right decision ,hope things go well for you,good luck
  • Posted

I was diagnosed of pancreatitis about 10 years ago. Pain reoccurs at least once in two months. Since I have calcification in the bile and pancreatic duct, the pain usually starts below the chest right in the middle and slightly to the right. Exactly where calcification is and those regions swell causing intense pain. The only remedy is the painkillers and fasting. I try avoiding painkillers to the best of my ability as it had caused duodenum ulcers as well.

I would recommend a CT scan of upper abdomen. This would highlight any calcification in the region. As age progresses l, there is no harm in getting CTs done every five years...just to be sure!

Hope this helps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.