Symptoms of TOS

Posted , 4 users are following.

What were your symptoms of TOS?

Did you get audible sounds from shoulders, clicking, ripping, shoulder getting stuck like a bone catching?

Did you have any facial pain, headaches, jaw or teeth pain.

Was the pain sharp or dull achey, did it travel down your arms?

Did your neck ache?

Did you have good days and bad days?

Trying to figure out if this chronic pain could be TOS. 

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I definitely have audible clicking sounds which never went away even after my rib resection.  My biggest symptom is pain.  It is sharp and stabby behind my shoulder blade and collar bone and very dull and achy on my neck and arms.  No teeth pain, but my jaw gets super tired while chewing.  My neck is constantly achy and stiff and that didn't go away after the scalenectomy.  Also- the shoulder blade pain which my Dr. said was caused by the elongated c-7 or t-1 vertebrea (I can't remember which one) never went away after it was shaved down.  Apparently my nerves were already too damaged.  

At first I had good days and bad days, then it turned into pain every second of everyday.  That's why I decided on the surgery, which was 6 months recovery.  

My advice would be to get tested, get the ct scan and hopefully get some answers before the damage is irriversible.  I was scheduled to have my left rib removed in January but I decided against it since it really didn't do too much in terms of pain on my right side. There is some relief- but not a ton. 

Good luck! 

• Posted

Hi Missy,

Thank you for the response, I am sorry that your pain didn't stop after surgery. After you go through a serious operation the last thing you want is hardly any improvement.

I have had pain for over 7yrs now so I'm going to assume if I have tos there would be permanent damage already.

I've had X-rays and scans on my neck but there isn't any explication for the pain with regards to the discs or vertebrae, when I've mentioned in the past to Drs about shoulder rubbing, clicking they have just gone hmmm and not looked further, everything else like arm pain was put down to coming from my neck although no reason in my neck can be found, I had a neck steroid injection in the facet joints which didn't help.

I Have looked up tos before and definitely remember struggling doing my hair as a kid as having my arms up like that for too long really hurt but the more constant pain started 7/8 yrs ago and include facial, neck, teeth jaw, headaches. Wearing a decent fitted bra kills me and intensifies the arm ache, I have to wear an old bra that is stretched out and not very supportive.

I have an X-ray picture from my neck and there is a faint white shadow above the rib bones near the neck but I don't know if it is anything or not.

I might see a physio before going to Drs as I've been there a lot with the pain and they have checked jaw, neck, and done blood tests over the years.

Thanks again

• Posted

What were your symptoms of TOS?

?my biggest symptoms was a blood clot in the vein. before that i didnt even know  that i had tos and so never took notice of any symptoms as i always assumed they were just related to over-doing it in the gym.

Did you get audible sounds from shoulders, clicking, ripping, shoulder getting stuck like a bone catching?

I often get clicks and crunches around my shoulders. also my shoulders sometimes get ridiculously tight and it spreads to the rest of my back.

Did you have any facial pain, headaches, jaw or teeth pain.

yes to all but i always attributed them to me being generally run down, or having a virus when this probably wasnt acutally the case.

Was the pain sharp or dull achey, did it travel down your arms?

there is a constant dull ache and it sort of intensifies around the shoulder, elbow and wrist joints. there's intermittent sharp pain that travels down the arm.

Did your neck ache?

not a huge amount.

Did you have good days and bad days??

yes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.