Symptoms post-labyrinthitis

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi there,

I am a very fit, self-confident 25-year old male who's enjoyed a wonderful 2017 both professionally and personally (this is relevant due to its relation to my stress levels prior to labyrinthitis).

However, in early October I got an ear infection which resulted in, to quote my GP, "post-viral labyrinthitis". I didn't experience ringing or pain in my ears so it could well be vestibular neuritis instead but as we all know they are almost one in the same.

It completely turned my life around. I became depressed and worried due to severe dizziness, headaches, cold arms and legs. I have always been very fit but when I do get ill I am very much a hypochondriac. I got tired instantly in the gym and eventually had to stop going.

The doctor's gave me amoxicilin but my body reacted badly to it so I was advised to stay off antibiotics, rest and recuperate.

Anyway, I had the condition for about 7 weeks and I am happy to say I have recovered from the condition and I am setting new personal bests in the gym again! I feel better, more alert and much happier.

HOWEVER, for about two weeks now (really since I recovered) I occasionally have the following symptoms: 

1. Pain in the top left of my head (tends to come in mini spikes (last about 10 seconds) about 8 times a day and its worse when I lie down in bed.

2. Occasional spaced out feeling / very very mild dizziness.

3. Dry, itchy eyes (sometimes feeling of pressure)

4. Mild pressure in my head (usually towards the back left)

5. Twitching above right eye and occasionally my chin

6. Very occasional "electric shock" feeling in my legs (left or right) - like a pulse shooting down my leg. Not at all painful but a little uncomfortable.

I am starting to worry it is something else (my standard approach!) and I just wanted some reassurance on my following questions: 

1. If it was a brain tumour / meningitis I assume I would've just gotten worse rather than start to feel better? Is this scientifically sound?

2. All of my blood, neurological and eye tests have come back fine every time and I assume if it was something worse, one of these will have shown something? - I HAVEN'T had a CT scan or any other head scan.

3. Can one experience very reduced symptoms of labyrinthitis for a while after recovering? After all, my vestibular nerves have had an absolute mare in the last month!

4. Are all of the above caused by the stress / panic that my condition is something worse?

Any information, shared experiences or advice you can provide would be most appreciated. I want to stay away from medical set ups for as long as possible and I get frust

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

* frustrated that I'm worrying myself into illness again! 

• Posted

Hey kel-el,

My name is Brandon,34 yr male, and it sounds alot like we're going through the same thing,mine started around the end of July coming home from work and it hit me almost knocked me out,my ear had been stopped up for a while but didnt pay any attention to it,but the dizziness was so severe it nearly knocked me out. I went to e.r. and they thought i was dehydrated and i didnt know what was wrong so i went with it,started feeling better for a day or so and was headed back to work when it hit me again,cloudy minded,dizziness and heavy headed on my right side. Was severe for a month everyday,finally started feeling better but still 5months later its still bothering me almost daily. Ive been to the e.r. 4 or 5 times,2 e.n.t.,had ct 2 times,blood work,and all has came back normal. Ive not been diagnosed but the lady and my family dr thinks it could be labyrinthitis. My main symthoms have been,dizziness,lightheadedness,the back of my head under skull (2or3in behind ear)pain,weakness and my right eyes is blurry from time to time. The worse times for me is when i drive. I do feel alot better than i did but still feel bad enough to look around the internet for success storys,thats how i came across your post and figured I'd talk to you. The overall experience has been horrible and life changing for me also.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.