Symptoms return when tapering steroids

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All,

Wondering if this has happened to others?

Currently tapering steroids which i started 4 weeks ago (2 weeks left).

I've been fine for pretty much 4 weeks and now with 2 weeks to go the symptoms have started to come back today.

Has this happened to anyone else and what did you do?

TIA Carrie

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

On two occasions, when I was first getting to grips with managing UC, I found that once I got down to 20mg or 15mg per day the symptoms would return. Most doctors say come down by 5mg stages. In my opinion this is too fast when you get into the lower doses. I was advised by another UC sufferer never to reduce by more than 10% (rounded) of what you were taking the week before. So 20mg, 18mg, 16mg, 14 mg etc. This means that you end up by reducing by 2mg then 1mg a week over a long period but it's what works for me. Otherwise ,a reflare will put you back on 40mg (or whatever is prescribed) and you have to start all over again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.