Symptoms Returning

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi -it's been almost 2 years since I had my procedure (urolyft) where I had 5 staples (not the correct word of art) placed into my prostate.  Things were progressing well until the last few months where I've found that start-up has once again become somewhat problematic (although better than prior to surgery) and the flow is becoming intermittent.  I wonder if others have sufferred this and how long before another procedure would become a potentiality.  I can say my urologist (Kaiser San Diego) told me that it's becoming a 'quality of life issue'. So I thought to ask what others' similar experience might be.  Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I was thinking of doing this,what symptoms were you having beforehand?
    • Posted

I had problems with flow and with starting my flow. Also sexual problems with meds I had been taking . The procedure has made things better until the last several months.
  • Posted

I think doc has to find out what happened first. Talk to Ken. He had one come loose and had one added I think. Maybe your prostate shrank?
    • Posted

I think shrinking would have more positive consequences

Less pressure on my urethral canal but I'm not sure.

• Posted

Isn;t it just a matter of the prostate continuing to grow and filloing in the space created by the procedure?  I would think it could happen with anyn procedure. It is just taht it usually happens so slowly that most men age and die of something before it becomes a problem.
    • Posted

To your point, the prostate gland is dynamic.  And in labeling it as such, I'm not assigning a value to those dynamics / changes.   Like any other gland or organ, things change over long periods of time.  Those changes may not be readily observable or perceptible, but they do change and, not to be the harbinger of bad news, they atrophy over time more often than not.  Not exactly a response of optimism, but it's realistic.

• Posted

Alan, I thought the prostate continues to grow, not atrophy, as one ages.

Rich

• Posted

Yes, Steven, I had a similar experience.  I had my Urolift in December 2015.  It was terrific results to start with, but after  a few months (3 or 4), the flow slowed and stopped by late spring of last year.  I resumed CIC.

I conferred with the doctor, and he offered a second round of Urolift, althouhg he had doubts about whther it would work.  We scheduled for October, but a UTI (and my wife's fall in a canyon and resulting broken neck) prevented the second procedure taking place.  

In the interim, I have decided to await the results of the iTind trials, as I'm interested in that approach, if it passes FDA muster.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.