Symptoms when starting citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everybody. I'd love to know whether anybody here has had a higher level of jitteryness/anxiety/panic when starting citalopram? I am on 20mg for a week and a half and it's freaking me out that I'm feeling more anxious! Also a bit spacey. Is this common?

Thankyou :-)

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi hope you're ok. Everything you're feeling is due to the meds getting in your system. I started 5 months ago on 20mg it took 3 weeks for things to calm down but I'm glad I stuck with it because I'm now feeling a lot better. Hang in their . Paul

• Posted

Thanks Paul - its just so difficult knowing that the pill you are taking is making you feel worse!! even if its just temporary smile 
    • Posted

I agree with Paul 

Hang in there it does take a few weeks my anxiety got worse before it got better but I feel so good now things that bothered me before don’t now and I’m lucky I didn’t have any side effects I still that the zerk thing as I’m falling asleep which is more irritating than a problem but can live with that if I’m feeling good!

I’m on 30mg so may be the dose as didn’t have it in 20mg 

• Posted

Hiya lapislazuli,

I'm afraid the jitters are common as are a bunch of other side effects like insomnia, dizziness etc.

The side effects can take a couple of weeks to a couple of months to calm down. The average is 6 to 8 weeks so hang in there. Unless you're really unlucky it's all level out and you'll start feeling better soon. Hang in there, give it time and stay hopeful.

Steve

• Posted

Everything you are feeling is from the celexa, it's a rollercoaster ride for sure. What helped me get past those moments of uncertainty is telling myself its temporary and it's just celexa making me feel like this. It's been a little over 5 weeks for me. The first 3 were rough but you can feel when it starts to level out. I suffered from repeated panic attacks and I may have a blip here and there but its few and far in between. It makes it manageable when it does happen. Just keep thinking good thoughts and push through. No worries!

• Posted

hi ,the symptoms that you are getting will be the side effects whilst the medication is building within your system.This will be like this for 6/8 weeks minimum ,and then start to fade away 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.