Symptons of hyperthyroidism, nodular goiter

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

Since last year I have suffered from dizziness and a feeling of going to faint, although I never have.

It came to a head in January after feeling unwell over Christmas. At the start it was the dizziness and palpitations so checked my heart and all well. I was diagnosed with over active thyroid and B12 and folic acid defficiency (these two now sorted)

They started me on propanalol for the palpitations but had a nasty reaction to it so couldnt take.

Eventually these put me on 20mg of carbimazole which I was taking for about 3 weeks...and then it attacked my liver function and again was very unwell.

So basically I have been off work since beginning of January with no medication. I am asking for support to see if anyone has been through the same and come out of the other side

I have horrible palpitations, almost racking my teeth sometimes. Great anxiety (not driven for quite some time now!) tinnitis in my left ear. Great lethargy, weight loss. I have had a scan of my thyroid and I have a goiter with nodules...or lumps and bumps as it was put.(lymph nodes were fine) Over the last 10 days my neck and upper chest seem tight, swollen and my neck around my thyroid throbs and can be painful. I do have an endocrinologist appointment this week and hope that they seriously just put me through the operation so I can start to move forward. Has anyone had the job lot of symptons? also how long to recover from the operation as desperate to get back to work and feeling 'normal' rather than feeling pathetic and a recluse having to be ferried around when I have appointments

Thanks for reading and really look forward to hearing from someone that has been through this and moved on to be normal! lol :-)

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I used to drive a HGV loaded with horses. Have never been nervous or jittery and turned into a total wreck. Any stress reduced me to tears, I was totally antisocial my whole personality changed. Don't mean to alarm you but I followed Doctors orders for almost 4 years before I decided to do it my way ! I eat a paleo diet, avoid all additives and take the carnitine. My humour, personality and ambition are returning daily. My nerves are gone. I am myself again. I really hated the pathetic person I became !!
  • Posted

I agree with linnet about the acetyl-L-carnitine but if you are expecting your doctor to give his approval or okay, you are not going to get it.  Doctors don't know about this and are not interested in learning.  Do your own research and take responsibility for making this decision.  Google Dr. Salvatore Benvenga.  He did a valid research study on L-carnitine and hyperthyroidism in 2001 with very positive results.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.