synacthen short test

Posted , 2 users are following.

Had this done last week. They put a Cannula in (took some time, my veins are a bit rubbish) and took blood, injected the synacthen and took some more blood 30 mins odd later.

That was it, I felt great for rest of day and evening.

However woke up at 5am didnt feel great, flu like feelings and really tired/s**t for a few days after. Is that normal, wont have the results yet I think until I see the consultant (ages yet).

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I would say this isn't normal, no. They only inject the ACTH hormone to then see 30mins later whether your adrenals have reacted and released cortisol.

I have to have this test done every year or so as I have pituitary disease and secondary adrenal insufficiency. But I dont ever feel ill afterwards? I guess all our bodies are different? Be good for you to get the results soon. If they come back that your adrenals/cortisol are deficient the reading recorded as 'flat' then it is highly possible that your pituitary gland is diseased and not pumping out ACTH.

If this is the case then your adrenals will not receive this very valuable signal/hormone. You will like myself have to go on a hormone replacement. As in steroids. This medication replaces what you are deficient in. I have to take hydrocortisone every day 3 times a day for life. Wear a medical alert bracelet and carry around an emergency injection kit in case of an emergency to stop an adrenal crisis. Even medicated you can still feel pretty rubbish. I struggle most days with moods and energy levels, total lack of libido and generally feel rubbish. But I push through it!! Good luck if you need anymore advice or help you can email me on

I hope your results are clear and that you dont have this awful disease as it's not a walk in the park!

Moderator comment: I have removed the email address as we do not publish these in the forums. If users wish to exchange contact details please use the Private Message service.

• Posted

Hi lisa

I am having a few tests and they said i have a prolactinoma, which all i know about is that it causes high prolactin and low testosterone as a.side effect. Ive been put on cabergoline and a 3 month testosterone replacement. Felt shiye for years and have been on blood pressure meds and an ssri anti depressant. Mentioned a few things over years to gp but put down to age. They blamed prolactin on the antidepressant and said last november ive prob got a prolactinoma but only 6 weeks ago started treatment! Had Mri 3 weeks ago, no hhad results yet. Very tired these days!

• Posted

hopefully a letter this week regarding the Synacthen test and the MRI, dunno what to think frown 

So far from what I read and spoken to others about I will justs have to take the Cab and TRT but still feel up and down at the moment (4 weeks on TRT and 6 on Cab)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.