Synacthen test

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have had the short synacthen test today for a diagnosis of

Addisons disease. The bloods were set to the lab for testing, so l am awaiting them.

l fell asleep during the test, is the a normal side effect?

Also l have the mirena coul insitu, will the aggect the results.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I do not think so. Didn't you ask the doctor?

• Posted

There was no doctor in the unit when l was having the test. The nurses didnt say much. I dont have an appointment with my endocrinologist until August , but he will phone me earlier if l need some medication before. l have neen teading up about Addisons and wondered if my mirena coil would affect the result of today test, the nurse was unsure, so recorded the information in my notes.

• Posted

Perhaps the Addison's Association UK will be able to help you with that. Or is it UK Addison's Association? Google it... you can also google something like: 'things that may interfere with the short synacthen test' ? I hope you find the answer.

• Posted

There is also the simple answer. You were wound up in anticipation. So they put you on a bed, gave you the ACT hormone, then told you to relax for half an hour. You were never going to get an adrenalin rush, just hopefully cortisol. So you stared at the ceiling, at some level aware that it is all being taken care of until the results come back. S o t h e n y o ur e l a x e d. and fell asleep. It happens. I was totally astonished once when my dentist told me that I had fallen asleep while getting a filling!

• Posted

Second part of your question: I'm not a medic but I can't think of any reason why the coil would have any effect as it affects an entirely different aspect of your endocrine system.

But it would be no harm to mention it when you discuss the result of the test.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.