synacthen test

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had this test, results were baseline cortisol 508nmol/L. Cortisol at 30 mins 690nnol/L and 60 mins 782nmol/L. I had the synacthen IV, but not sure of the dose.

Felt stressed before the test as it took 30mns and 3 attempts to put the line in.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I felt stress as well because it was getting well pass the 'early hour' for checking the cortisol. If you are not sure of the dose.... I cannot check or imagine what the results are...

If you ask the UK Addison's disease Association, they will probably ask you the dose...

• Posted

hi, l have phone to find out synacthen dose. l was given 250micrograms IV.

• Posted

Hi,

First of all, the dose of synacthen* is not critical so long as it is enough - it is an on/off trigger. It is 'just' a copy of the signal hormone that your pituitary would send to your adrenal glands to order up some cortisol, which they produce in response to physiological stress - inflamation, injury and the like. (A one-off psycological stress caused by having the test done [even awkardly] won't affect the result. The object of the test it to confirm (or deny) that your adrenals are responding to orders from the pituitary (which sends this kind of signal hormone to many major hormone-producing organs) to produce cortisol when needed.

Your baseline cortisol is well within the normal limits and the response from your adrenals looks to my amateur eye to be spot on.

• Synacthen : Synthetic ACTH (Adrenocorticotropic hormone, if you must know!)
  • Posted

Just to clear up a possible misunderstanding...

The synacthen test shows that your adrenal glands react normally when requested, so you definitely don't have Addison's.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.