Syncope and first aid training

Posted , 2 users are following.

I've had syncope since I was in primary school, aged 5 or 6. Along with other situations, anything medical, no matter how small, brings on fainting spells. I was removed from biology class in year 9 because of it. I faint if I get leg cramp, if I read anything in the news or if someone talks about anything medical at all, including fainting...

I'm worried because work wants me to do a first aid course. I had to do it in school and I had to repeat it because I fainted so much. It was humiliating and people thought I was either being overdramatic or that I was a wuss and afraid of blood ("there's no blood involved!" - I know, but you clearly don't understand my condition...). I don't want to have to do it with work, as I know for a fact I'll faint a number of times and I hate fainting - it scares me.

I'm more annoyed because I'd love to be able to help save a life but I've spent my whole life avoiding situations that set me off.

I don't know what to do, does anybody else experience this? Should my workplace be more understanding or am I really just being selfish? I don't want sympathy or special treatment, but I'm human and want to look after myself!

Thanks 😊

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello ciara, I have no idea what your situation could involve. I have Autonomic Nervous System Dysfunction bit every person's response is varied and the triggers can come and go. I would strongly suggest you seek medical attention to try and find answers. I also understand your embarrassment as I am trying to be a functioning person who really tries to avoid public situations.

Good luck and God bless, Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.