Syndesmosis Screw Advice

Posted , 7 users are following.

I broke my Fibula in December.  I had surgery to put in a plate and syndesmosis screw.  I spent 6 weeks in a cast non weight bearing and then another 6 weeks non weight bearing in a boot.  I went to consultant a couple of weeks ago and he is happy with how it is going and said I can start to weight bear but still with the boot.  I have been referred to have the syndesmosis screw removed but still waiting for a date.  I am really really worried that by putting weight down the syndesmosis screw will break. I don't want to overdo things although the surgeon did say I could fully weight bear. Are you really full weight bearing with a boot on and also has anyone had a screw break and did it cause any problems. So so scared.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Sally

I would contact your surgeon's office to ask Good luck. Richard

• Posted

I've been fully wb for 4-5 weeks now with the syndomesis screw in. My doctor has no plans to take it out unless it does cause problems. Yes, it can break. From what I've read, if it does break it shouldn't cause any problems. I've only rest of it causing problems for a few people. If you have plans to have it taken out, and your doctor is telling you it's okay to wb, is go ahead and do it.

• Posted

Hi Sally, I too have the screw as well as 2 other plates and pins to repair my ankle which I also broke in December.

The hospital said they would remove the screw after 2 or 3 months, I have seen my surgeon twice and she has not mentioned removal however she told my to FWB about seven weeks ago.

I still cannot walk unaided but I am putting weight through my injured foot.

I spoke to another patient who has the same surgeon and she was told the screw can stay in and it will eventually break.

I see my surgeon again next week where I will ask again.

• Posted

Hai kenny75828.. how's your ankle progression? I also broke my ankle and had 1 syndemosis screw.. just open my cast after 4 weeks not wb and now my doc still ask me to not wb until next month and then afterr the screw is taken out, i can start wb.. my question so how was your syndemosis screw after weight bearing? Is it broke inside? I'm so tempt to put little weight on my injured ankle but affraid that the screw will break 🤣😄

• Posted

I had my cast on for six weeks then told to weight as much as possible without a boot, I'm nearly 8 weeks post op walking mainly with one crutch and swimming three times a week 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.