Synergy lens

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi all. I am new to the forum and wanted to give people my experience with the synergy IOLs. I struggled to find much information on people who received these lenses so hope my experience will help others. I am a 46 yo F who suffered from severe presbyopia. I know some folks don't approve of people getting iols if they don't have cataracts but my eyesight was terrible without my glasses. I couldn't read a thing and it was very debilitating. I researched IOLs and thought that the synergy sounded great as they should give me the best all round vision. I wasn't too keen on the idea of a multifocal where I might have had gaps in my focus so liked the idea of the combined MF and EDOF design. I had the surgery on 16th December 2021, so am around 1 month post op. The surgery went very well with no complications. I had both eyes done on the same day and both had the synergy +25 D lenses inserted. The next day I was amazed by how well I could read with the new lenses. I could see the text on my phone and could even read the fine print on the eye drop bottles. I did have some flickering around the sides of my eyes but I expected this would be the case so early on. I also had some mild negative dysphotopias where I could see a dark outline at the corners of my eyes. This disappeared when I looked to the side. I was a bit light sensitive but sunglasses helped with this. I went for my day 1 post op check. I had a bit of a scratch on my right eye that was a bit irritating but mild painkillers helped with that. I was given drops to help with dry eye to also help with this. 2 things really hit me on day 1, the first, that I could read amazingly well without glasses for the first time in years. Second, my distance vision did not seem very sharp. I couldn't make out faces very well at a distance. I knew it was very early days so I didn't let this worry me. I decided it would be best to take 1 week off work to allow myself to recover. I went back on the 23rd December and noticed the bright, artificial lights were very glarey. They didn't hurt but it was a bit uncomfortable. I had a bit of trouble with the computer screen at first, with a bit of glare and ghosting around letters, but realised if I pulled the monitor forward a little bit and adjusted the brightness settings, it was much more tolerable. I was glad to get finished that day though as my eyes felt very tired and strained. Driving in to work in the morning when it was dark was not too bad. I did notice halos around headlights but they didn't bother me too much. On the way home, when my eyes were tired, it was quite bad. I felt the halos were worse and I was a bit blurry. The next morning my eyes were fine again after some rest and the drive to work was fine. I still struggled with the lights at work and again, the drive home was not easy. I have found though that now, at 1 month, things are starting to settle down. The lights at work don't bother me so much and driving home is getting easier. I am still amazed at how well I can read even fine print and have not worn my glasses even once since the surgery. My distance vision is still not as sharp as I would like but some days are better than others. I know that it will take a few months to settle down and let my brain adapt to a new way of seeing. Overall, I have no regrets about getting the surgery as I love not having to wear glasses to read anything any more. There have been trade offs though with the sharpness of distance vision and the halos, but the halos are getting better and don't bother me too much. If anyone is interested, I plan to keep updating my recovery journey and let you know how my distance vision gets on. I have been back for my 28 day post op check and they were happy that I am recovering well. They expect my distance vision to improve with time.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Thank you for your update. It is helpful to hear the experiences that people have with these lenses. I have a friend that has the Alcon PanOptix which is similar to the Synergy. Her experience is the opposite. She has good distance vision but uses +1.75 readers for reading. One of the issues with IOLs is that getting the power correct is not a slam dunk for the surgeon and they can miss. Sounds like yours may have missed a little on the myopic side and you got better reading vision while my friend's doctor may have missed on hyperopia side.

If you get a refraction test done by an optometrist they will be able to tell you what correction would be needed for distance vision. That is probably the best measure of how accurately the surgeon was in hitting the right power for emmetropia.

This said it may also be an issue internal to the IOL and how they correct for close vs far.

• Posted

Glad it worked out well for you. yes many say you should'nt have IOL replacment if you dont have cataracts but almost everyone will get cataracts in their lifetime so if you did'nt have it now most likely you would have needed IOL replacment later in life

• Posted

I too got the Synergy IOL recently, at least for one eye. I wrote about my experience here, so you can refer to that. One point is my distance vision was also not instantaneously. It took time to come in. And I have heard others say this about the Synergy IOL including Dr. Wong. I am not sure what that is.

Close vision is where the Synergy shines, nothing else comes close IMHO.

As far as getting both eyes done the same day, the only thing I can say you are a lot braver than me especially when getting the highest risk IOL out there.

• Posted

Hello,

Thank you for sharing 😃 I am getting the Synergy tomorrow and it helps to read about your experience as I am quite nervous (AGAIN) about having the procedure. I had the Symfony put in two weeks ago (and have had some issues which continue to diminish) and was told by my surgeon/team that it would give me the better distance vision and Synergy would get me better up close.

Unlike you, I developed early cataracts (I am 48) and it was a real shocker! My uncorrected vision in the eye they just did with the Symfony was 20/400 and the one they are doing tomorrow is 20/100! So, like you, I cannot see without glasses. Reading was not good either as I was having to hold a book right up to my face to read it. My corrected eye with the Symfony at 1-week was 20/20 and reading was very far down the card (cannot remember which line but it was not the smallest) - I can read my mobile quite easily. I would say the intermediate (computer) is the best and the far is much better than the near.

I still have some irrational fears about having these lenses - like one day they will come loose or degrade in some way to where I cannot see. Did you have any fears?

• Edited

Glad your surgeries went well. I am one of those who would never recommend this procedure if not for cataracts. I know people where this didn't go well -living with big regrets. I was shocked to have cataracts at 53 and no choice about the surgery. And cataract surgery itself can cause other issues for younger patients - I live with epiretinal membrane in one eye caused by cataract surgery.

What I wish is that these clear lens exchange surgeons had more in depth conversations with their patients about side affects pros and cons and did not do both eyes same day. Only reason I can see they do that is so one cannot compare. Particularly for difference in contrast sensitiviry. My cataracts impeded my vision - could see big E on eye chart but did have 6 weeks between surgeries and I know I had better contrast with cataract eye than my Symfony eye. i need a flashlight to read menus in dimly lit restaurants now. Same day surgeries leave zero chance for first surgery to heal and IOL to settle and make adjustments to target 2nd eye. often dollars are these surgeon's bottom line.

I am happy this worked out for you. Just not a fan of clear lens exchange but if one opts for it being fully informed and a decent wait time between surgeries it would be much better.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.