Synovial cysts

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello everyone,

4 years ago my right wrist started to be painfull. I went to see a doctor and the x-ray showed that I had a synovial cyst. The doctor told me to go see a surgeon to see if he could operate. The surgeon told me he could operate but it wasn't worth it because it could come back over and over again. I didn't have surgery and today I have synovial cysts in both my left and right wrist. Sometimes it hurts so much that I can't even move my wrists. It's really incapacitating.

Has anybody heard about this kind of cyst ? Does anybody know how I could get rid of it or at least reduce the pain when it hurts too much ?

Thank you very much for your help !

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

SO SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR PAIN WITH THIS.   I HAD A SMALL THING ON ONE OF MY TOES LIKE A CORN BUT WHEN I WENT TO THE DERMATOLOGIST HE SAID IT WAS A SYNOVIAL CYST AND SAID HE COULD TAKE IT OFF BUT IN PROBABILITY IT WOULD COME BACK.  I WENT AHEAD AND HAD IT REMOVED AND SURE ENOUGH IT CAME BACK SHORTLY SO I HAVE JUST LEFT IT ALONE.  IT CAUSED ME NO PAIN.   IS YOURS INSIDE THE WRIST OR OUTSIDE?
    • Posted

Hi Nancy

Thank you for your answer !

My cysts are inside my wrists. When the cyst is big we can see it when I move my hands dowm. It's like a little bump but when it's not big enough we cannot see anything.

• Posted

IS THE CYST HITTING A NERVE AND CAUSING PAIN?  CAN THE NERVE BE DEADENED?
  • Posted

If you are in UK you should see your doctor. Yes,these cysts can recur but if they are painful its worth either removing them surgically or they can be drained.   Dont carry on in pain when there is treatment.      You may be prone to getting these and may need treatment every few years or so. 
  • Posted

I have had a few synvial cysts, or more commonly called ganglions.   About 40 years ago I had one on the back of my wrist and it did hurt occasionally.  The old method of getting them to go down was to hit them with a Bible but the consultant tried putting two thumbs on it and squeezing very hard - it didn't work.  I had an operation but it came back a couple of years later so had another operation and thankfully it has never returned but I am left with a barely visible scar.  Several years after that I had another one on the other hand but at the base of my thumb. I had another opertion where they also removed part of the bone and apart from a longer more visible scar I haven't had any more trouble (apart from arthritis)

I have just seen a consultant about several small cysts (ganglions) that are in my index finger, between the middle and top joints.  This has distorted my finger quite a lot and occasionally hurts and I was told I could have an operation to remove them but it would be quite painful and there's a strong posssibility they might come back so I have decided to put up with them, however unsightly they are. He just advised me to take pain killers but the pain I get is stabbing for a few seconds occasionally through the day so not worth taking anything. I remember when I had the operations that I had my arm in a sling for a while and I had the pain for quite a while after which is why I will put up with it for now.

By the way, it was quite easy to see the separate small cysts in my finger as there is a way of telling if the lumps are fluid or bone.  I held a small bright torch against my finger and the fluid showed up several small cysts quite easily,  apparently it's a test used in hospitals etc.   Whether you will be able to see the fluid in your lump I don't know but you could try it.  Hope this helps you decide whether to have the cysts removed or not.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.