Synovial fold

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi just wondering if anyone has had surgery for a synovial fold. I had mine 4 weeks ago and I am no better now than before surgery. I still have a locked knee and unable to fully extend leg it's been like this for 6+ months now I was so hoping to get back training but not looking good any help or different exercises I can try please share

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hey Kerry! Sorry about your knee issues. Can you tell me WHY (exactly) you're not able to get full knee extension....my name is Tim. Im a physical therapist and a fitness trainer. I focus on movement, mechanics, performance and pain management.

Anyways, If you give me more detail as to what you're feeling when you try to get full extension I may be able to help you.

• Posted

Hi Tim when I try and lock my knee it feels as though something is blocking it behind my knee. I am just not sure if it's because it's been like it for so long all the muscles around have seized. When I sit on the bed with both legs out in front my left leg just feels like it's pulling all the time right down to my ankle it's just really tense as I try and push it down onto bed. When I lay on my front with leg off the bed and try and straighten it it's just the same. My leg just feels heavy and tense all the time

• Posted

If you have your legs straight out in front of you, and you push your foot/toes down - not hard - as if you are pushing on the gas pedal and try to straighten it what happens? And, you said been like this for so long" what do you mean? Do you wear high heels a lot?

• Posted

It all started in January I de and landed awkward when playing netball I had an MRI in march because I could not straighten my leg so they thought I had a meniscus tear my MRI came back inconclusive they did find a mcl tear.finally in June 16th I had an arthroscopy and that's when they found the synovial fold. I never wear heals I am normally very active I play netball 4 times a week but since January I've not been able to do anything even walking is a struggle.

• Posted

Hey Tim, good to have you  here. I knew that you have great knowledge.  Now I know why. smile
  • Posted

Try lying on the bed, on your stomach with your knees and feet hanging off of the edge. Once there see what you feel and if you can get the knee straight. And then from that same position, with your legs still straight, try and pull your foot (at the ankle) up towards your knees and then point your foot away, keeping leg straight
  • Posted

It could be an issue with one of the calf muscles or tendons that runs thru the back of the knee.

In standing, straighten the knee as much as possible, without it hurting, and then pull your foot/toes up towards the knee and see if you feel a pull or a pain in the back of the knee.

• Posted

Yes I can feel pain in my calf muscle and pulling behind my knee also my ankle feels really tight as if. I have weights around it when I try and pull my toes up to my knee in a standing and laying position
  • Posted

You are welcome, Cheryl. It's what I enjoy.

• Posted

And that tightness in the ankle makes sense because there's a long muscle/tendon that runs right thru the back of the knee and attaches at the foot, that helps with bending the knee and flexing the foot

• Posted

Can you recommend any exercises that will help
  • Posted

So the injury was 6+ mos ago and it hasn't gotten any better, at all, correct!??

• Posted

That correct injury happened in January arthroscopy on 16th June

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.