Synthroid + Cytomel am I on the right meds?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all, I have Hashimoto's and have been taking synthroid for about 15 years.  There have been times when my TSH would be in the 20s or 30s when off.  About a year ago, my GP added 5 mg cytomel.  Helped T4 levels but not enough, so she added 5 more mg cytomel.  My levels are now in the normal range but I am having trouble sleeping now and with occasional anxiety mostly related to not being able to go to sleep. My OB dr. thought my medicine might be too much so he retested and they were in the normal range. 1.1.  My question is, has anyone else heard of this combination of meds causing anxiety/ insomnia and is it possilbe that I might not need this much even though my blood tests show me in a normal range?  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

You may not be on the right medication for your body.  There are so many treatments, natural and synthetic, and what may work for one, may not work for another.  It's all trial and error.  I would imagine that the 1.1 is your TSH level?  What were your FT4 and FT3 levels?  They would also explain symptoms that you are experiencing.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply.  I'm currently coming off a short round (6 days) of prednisone for severe ear and throat congestion.  I've been a little flippy the two days I have only taken one dose of Prednisone.  I also still have the congestion which is very frustrating.  My Free T4 is 1.6 and TSH 1.01 both in normal range. They did not test Free T3, which is what cytomel is, i think.  May need to get back to my endocrinologist or ask my GP and OB to look further into it.

• Posted

I would take the ranges as a rough guide. T3 medication sure as cytomel/liothyonine can cause anxiety and palpitations. It's usually the t3 rather than t4 that causes these effects. However it varies from person to person

• Posted

Hi. I've been on thyroxine for 23 years and never felt well, despite repeatedly going back to the various GPs and endocrinologists. In the past year I've done my own research and found a private doctor to support me in regaining my health.  I'm now on liothyronine (equivalent to cytomel) as well as the thyroxine. Currently 75 mcg thyroxine and 18.75 mcg of liothyronine taken in 3 doses of 6.25 mcg over the day.  What I have found through my research and personal experience is that you need to make sure you take your medication on an empty stomach with a full glass of water (at least 2 hours after food, and not eat for an hour afterwards).  It also needs to be taken well away from any other medication or absorption can be blocked.  Do you take yours near bedtime? if so, its better to take it early morning.

You do need to know what your free T3 level is.  You can get this tested privately if your GP won't do it. I get my tests through Medichecks via the Thyroid UK website.

• Posted

Thank you.  After about 17 years of not really paying attention to how and when I took it, my body completely let me know the past two years how important it was to take in am on empty stomach in am.  I have been faithful about it about two years now.  It has made a difference in regulating my levels and medicine.  However, I have Hashimoto's, so it fluctuates at times any way.  Thank you for your response.  I too feel generally unwell some days and am currently trying to get to the bottom of some reoccurring allergy/ respiratory issues

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.