T.A.R still in pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi guys,

I had my total ankle replacement surgery on 24/11/14 in wrightington hospital Wigan. Now 5 months on from surgery im wishing id never had the opperation, im in constant pain and the nerves are still damaged in my foot.

I have had more MRI scans done and im awaiting results of a P.E.T scan i had last week.Is anybody else having the same problems as myself,i could do with advice on medication as the tablets im taking (800 mg tramadol per day & 900mg Gabapentin per day) dont seem to be working for me.i am still no able to return to work yet ..thanks in advance guys.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

You should go to the hospital where you had your surgery and talk to the surgeona nd nurses who helped youa nd explain to them what is going on. Also ask them what you can do and how shoudl you manage your pain and if that still doens't help try to manage the pain without meds.
  • Posted

Hi Wayne

Really sorry to hear about your problem. However you have asked what experience others have had as a guide to what you might expect,  and I had my TAR on 3rd December2014. Since then I have had no pain in the ankle and it seems to be merely a question of learning to walk on it again, which is a slow process but going well. In your position I would be more worried about the cause of the pain and looking for answers.

Good luck

Best 

John

• Posted

I'm with John.

Go get something done.

I had my TAR on 12th Feb 2015 and now am walking unaided with just a managable ache to deal with (though still have one crutch for walking across town).

So lucky with all  that could have gone wrong.

How many TAR's had yr man done?

Paul

• Posted

My TAR was 11 March 15 and now starting to walk unaided. Ankle feels a bit tight but no pain . But still take crutch when out .
  • Posted

Paul asks a crucially important question in terms of how many TARs had your surgeon previously done. Seveal of my neighbours are senior surgeons and all advised me to pick a surgeon with a geat deal of experience  in what is a long and very demanding procedure.  So I identified a man who had done 70 and then went to him privately to esure I got him and not an NHS nominee with less experience. I subsequently met a man about to undergo a TAR who told me his NHS surgeon had only done one previou procedure.

john

• Posted

I had my TIR January 2013 . It was not until August / September 2014 , 18 months after the opperation that I was pleased I had it done and I can walk without being aware that I have a titanium hinge in my ankle .I have spoken to a number of TAR patients and most say 18 months to 2 years for total recovery .

I had sevear pain when active but vertualy no pain at reast and foot up . That gradualy went after 12 months . I tried acupunture and, cold compeses , but tried not to take too many pain killing tablets . I found rest to be beneficial . I also had MRI and PET scans , all of which showed all was well even though I was in much pain .

If all shows well with your scans , Its just a matter of time to heal .

Best of luck

• Posted

Hi I had a T.A.R 2 & 1/2 yrs ago and am still in excruciating pain ..it's changed my life as I don't do the active things that I love to do mostly riding horses and am so depressed ..but at least I can walk and my ankle do eat keep breaking and breaking my leg..because before the replacement I had several breaks from the arthritis. .so I guess I had no choice but to undergo the T.A.R. but am extremely disappointed in the debilitating excruciating pain that I endure...and can only bemare to work part time.I'm taking Mobic and Gabapentin for pain and have to rest alot ...but the swelling and pain is still there...it's breaking my heart but yet In blessed to still be able to walk.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.