T K R 2 weeks post op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Went to get dressing changed yesterday nurse said she thinks I have an infection.

Today we had a group pherapist session which was interesting to see some were doing well others not so good.

My R O M is n't great 78 degree which is not surprising as my knee is so swollen and very sore to touch.

Hostpital said to go straight to my G P to get course of antibiotics.

All the other members in the group had to make another appointment 4 / 6 weeks time I have to go back in 2 weeks to see physiotherapists.

This is certainly a case of one step forward 4 steps back.

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

poor you I had an infection and it really drags you down. Please take it easy and pace yourself Defender. I am 8 weeks on and am getting better. Still not great at sleeping and knee swollen.  Now being told I have to get back to work. Never ends.

• Posted

OH NO, what a nightmare.  My PT folks thought I had an infection but found out I was allergic to the glue they used to close the incision.   That really set me back as my incision didn't close completely and swelling didn't go down until week 11.  

• Posted

Hmm that's interesting as they used glue to close my incision.

Yes the swelling certainly seems to be a problem and I am icing it a lot but my knee is so sore can hardly bear to touch it is so sore.

I will take a good look on Friday when they change the dressing to see how it is.

Many of the others that had the op the same day as me have had all thier dressings removed.

• Posted

Are you running a fever?  (I wasn't)  And you say it is sore to touch but do you have lots of pain in it otherwise?  (I didn't)  Those were the questions the GP asked while he was looking at it.  Ended up sending pictures of my knee to the surgeon and he and the GP agreed it wasn't infected.  Just   

• Posted

No I am not running a fever is just so sore to touch I don't even like heavy bed linen on it

Just the normal pain .

It was interesting to se how others were progressing that had the op on the same day though.

Many were on one stick I am still on two and have always iced after exercises.

• Posted

I had to stay on ice almost 24/7 until about week 11 when my incision finally closed and I could massage it...don't ask me why but massaging the scar seems to really help.  I can tell if I am not doing that enough.  

In the beginning I would get depressed to hear stories from friends telling about people that they knew that were doing so great after their TKR.  I had to focus on we are all different and we all heal differently.  

• Posted

Today, 3 weeks following my TKR, I attended the Physio Class. I was able to perform everything required of me. I felt so proud! However, I questioned my knee dressing that the District Nurse had applied. I had pus oozing from the wound. This dressing had been applied by a nurse who came to my home, not from the hospital. When I stated that the nurse had not washed her hands or used any wipes, despite my kitchen being adjacent, the hospital was appalled. I had a swab taken, my BP checked and blood drawn. I was given antibiotics. I was told if more pus oozed I should go immediately to my Medical Centre. I said I would not wish to see a district nurse again. The hospital does so well in infection control that lack of procedure by a nurse local to me badly let them down.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about the infection. I was at 75 when I left hospital but then 58 at my 1st therapy session. Now at 3 weeks and can get to 90 but not maintain it. 
    • Posted

Yes they wouldn't discharge me until i had a 90 geg bend the physiotherapist pushed me to 90 geg but i guess at that point i was well drugged.

I am still struggling to do straight leg lifts.

No one said it was going to be easy but you have to keep pushing my outer thigh hurts after exercising.sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.