T.n

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi ..i was diagnosed with t.n about 4 years ago and always managed it with tegratol and lead an ok life with the odd attack

Lately even if I have 1 pint of beer/lager it triggers an attack

Is this common???.

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

'Fraid so Tony.

My general intolerance of alcohol has extended beyond me having MVD operation about 6 weeks ago. As I'm still coming off Tegretol gradually and I guess still have some inflammation at the operation site at the nerve root, I'm not sure if the alcohol effect was due to TN or the Tegretol.

Do you have TN type 1? What about your MRI findings, do they confirm this?

I'll see if my alcohol problems continue after I've packed up Tegretol completely.

Cheers

Big D

• Posted

Hi I've had TN/SUNA for over 12 years and I'm sorry to say that alcahol is a no, no for a majority of people including myself. However if you want to risk trying things try white wine and you might e lucky with the odd glass.    Leave spirits alone.    However as you know what is a trigger for one is not for others. I do have one friend that drinks what she likes except when she has a flair up.     If you are still on a high dose of Tegretol you may find it effects things with alcohol.  Depends what sort of pail you got.   I know it is so miserable when you go out and can't have a drink  and it made things worse for me as I worked in an off-licence when I was able to work.     See what comments other people leave, they may be able to advise you a bit more.

• Posted

I'm on 750 Tegretol a day. I do have a glass or two of wine at the pub every weekend regardless of whether I'm in pain or not. If I'm in pain, it makes me relax and feel better if I'm honest. I don't find that alcohol brings on an attack. Each to their own I guess.

• Posted

You Europeans and your pubs! Makes me jealous with the swill we have here in the States..yuck! I don't drink much but whenever I had a beer with the tegretol (usually a Guiness or something stout because this American likes strong brew!), I noticed a steep drop in the efficacy of my medicine. I'm not sure why, but this is a thing so you aren't alone.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.