T.S.H. results

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have no idea if anyone will have the answer but I had some bloods taken as I have been having very painful, heavy periods and the doctor wanted to check it was not my thyroid.  I got the results and they are within the normal limits but they have changed over the past 3 years and i was wondering if anyone can tell me what this means, if it is significant and if it could be effecting my periods. In November 2012 it was 1.200uUI/ml, in Oct 2013 it was 1.400 and this month it is 2.440uUI/ml.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted.  Obviously i will also be going to te docs to discuss results but don't want to look silly when i go in.  Thanks

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi chezza,  I'm in the same boat as you and I'm in France! It's so hard getting the french docs where I live to understand that their tsh ranges are out of date! In 2012 I was 2.18 2013 2.51 now 2014 I am a 3!  Well I need an appointment with an ent in toulouse soon for another biopsy on my 2.4 cm nodule! Ohhh the joys! Where are you in France? :-)
  • Posted

Hi all,

Welcome Charlotte!

Sorry to hear your TSH is rising. I did get mine down but no particular relief from the brain fog...but then after that success I did go on to experimenting with supplementation alone.

Instead now I'm going to focus on getting my TSH DOWN with levothyroxine...to reduce the thyroid inflammation. My TSH went up to 5.1  !  

I had been wondering about trying desiccated thyroxin from the pig....but think this may have been a red herring? Anyone know anything about it? The main thing is to have SOMETHING that lowers TSH and reduces thyroid inflammation. 

Am hoping that by getting back to thyroxin I can get the TSH reading down...but more particularly that my symptoms of brain fog wil resolve..this and the apathy I feel are the worse part of it for me. Anyone else?

The vit D suggestion I have re-read...thanks libralady. Thats an amazing success you had. I do have vit D but wasn't taking consistently. It seems to be hard to overdose as the upper limit is quite high but blood tests will ensure i don't go over so I won't worry about that.

• Posted

Hi Marey

With regard to the Vitamin D3 I should have mentioned that when I saw my gp and mentioned the TSH coming down and taking D3 she said there was no connection and that TSH levels do vary.  I think this is just another thing that gp's don't seem to know.  On my dose of 125mg for years the Tsh result each year was around 2.6, 2.8.  It is only since starting the d3 that is has come down.  No change in the levothyroxine dose.  So yes I am convinced it is connected and have read on line the same.  Because the blood results showed a vitamin D level of well over 100 my gp has reduced my vitd3 dose.  I was on 2200iu daily now it is every other day so halved.  It will be interesting when I next have a blood test which won't be until around May 2015 to see not only what the vd levels are but more importantly if the TSH had gone up.  Surely that will be proof enough if they have.  

• Posted

Sorry Marey if I have told you all this before.
    • Posted

libralady...did you notice any symptom changes?

Were you more mentally alert and less slugish/cold for example?

• Posted

No Marey nothing different have always had episodes where I get very cold and have cold hands and feet but not all the time.  I did ask GP and she just said that you don't always get rid of all the symptoms.  Whether that is right I don't know, but certainly having a lower TSH has not made any difference. I have to say though that I have other health problems arthritis,asthma,Blood pressure,blepharitis, IBS and now a reflux problem.

All being treated.  I also suffer from anxiety and am seeing a CBT councillor.  I am 67 but often feel older and get tired although I don't get enough sleep.  My main symptoms when I was first diagnosed back in 1993 were fatique,and aches and pains and feeling the cold.  I was lucky that my gp at the time knew my mum had thyroid problems and my son was diabetic so decided to straight away test for thyroid problems instead of fobbing me off with things like menopause, looking after teenagers job etc.  Stress may have brought it to the fore as my mum had died the year before.  My TSH before diagnosis was around 5.  Hope this helps.  Sorry I can't be more positive.  It is hard to know with symptoms what is caused by what.

• Posted

very helpful indeed thank you!

you may well have deteriorated without the extra vit d and your story has given me confidence to maintain a high vit d dose (D3 plus K2) til a blood test shows be my levels have stabilised and my TSH reduced.

Am getting back to lots of other supplements and adjustments til I sort  this thing.

Don't tell me you've been persuaded to take stuff for acid reflux?

You need more acid foods not less...ie the foods that become alkalising in the body...like fresh pressed lemon every morning....before eating and HCL with betain...is your mission before meals. Try it. DO NOT TAKE ANTACIDS  thats the pits..so old fashioned and out of date ...like your GP..you know more than she does. Maybe try a naturopath???????

Avoid industrial seed oils espec frying with them...heat coconut oil instead and try paleo xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx us thyroid folk have all got gluten sensitivity apparently !

• Posted

Hi again

I have what I think is a condition called silent reflux. Different from normal reflux in that you don't always get the usual heartburn symptoms. The

Reflux reaches the throat sometimes the vocal chords and nasal passage and lungs. It is a complicated condition very restricted non acid diet and alkaline water. I have postings in the reflux oesophagas group. I hate it

And it seems like hypothyroidism doctors don't seem to know much about it or even know it exists. My main problem is excess mucus in the mouth.

I could go on and on about it. Anyway to get to your point about

Medication I am on omeprazole was on 40mg now reduced to 20 and yes I want to come off it as soon as possible. It maybe that because of my

Anxiety I have been producing extra acid but I totally agree with you you

Need acid for digestion. Incidentally I have just read that silent reflux is

Connected to low thyroid. Like you I have had to find out for

• Posted

Sorry replying on my kindle and pressed before I had finished. What I

Meant to say was you have to find out all this for yourself. I did ask my go about but k2 but she did not know about it.my son in law said I should

Take it as well. You mention about gluten do you avoid bread etc please

Let me know.Thanks

• Posted

Yes absolutely i avoid bread pasta pizza and other crap like the plague ....!!!!!!!!!!!! And I don't regret it!!!!!!!!!

I feel conected to beautiful intelligent exploratory people like yourself ....and tha paleo movement and i'm loving it !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.