T score -3.3. Just been prescribed alendronic acid 70mg.

Posted , 8 users are following.

any good news about this drug?  I'm now terrified about taking it.  I'm a wheelchair user so can't help my bone density.  I broke my hip recently so have been prescribed this drug.  Any advice or reassurance out there?  And how bad is a hip t score of -3.3?  My spine was -1.9

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi every one,

i am the same.

i am confused as well, after chemo and radio for breast cancer 5 years ago, it left me with oseo.  in   spine and hips.

my last score on the spine was -3.1 in 2014, i have been on AA and vit D now for 4 years, i am lucky in the fact i do not seem to have any side affects , but all the bad press, has me worried, anyone got any good thinks to say or shall i just stop, any advise will be really helpful and give me peace of mind.

Many thanks to all who take the time to contribute to this item.

• Posted

The recommendation now is not to be on AA for that long. Two or three years is now considered the maximum time to be on AA.

How have your tscores improved?

There is plenty you can do naturally now to help your bones.

Read the above posts about vitamin K2 and diet and exercise.

• Posted

The four years on AA is probably long enough. As far as I know no tapering is needed. But you really should discuss this with your doctor. You can improve bone density through diet, supplements and appropriate exercise, so stopping medication doesn't mean you can't keep on strengthening your bones, and without risk of side effects. Do let us know how you get on. Best wishes.

• Posted

Interesting that our replies are awaiting moderation. Not said any thing not true, even advised you to consult your doctor.
    • Posted

If my reply ends up being deletrd, please private message me.
    • Posted

Yeah, weird, mine has nothing much either to be challenged!
    • Posted

Thank you, I think I deleted my last reply instead of sending it.

So I am resending, my score has got slightly worse, and my cancer surgeon is happy for me to stay on it!! In my 5th year now.

I will look at the k2 post many many thanks to all on this post so very helpful, having friends there to share with.

• Posted

Hi. I was prescribed alendronic acid for osteopenia several years ago in my forties and it did improve my bone density to be good for my age. However at my dexa 3 years ago I was told to stop taking it as there was no further improvement and because I had been on it for 5 years. 3 years on and I have had another Dexa to be told my hips are good but my spine is not and I have osteopenia again. So it is effective. However it seems eating well and exercising regulaly has not been good enough although I have only in the last year moved from once a week to 2 or 3 times a week.
  • Posted

I have to gear myself up to take it each time too. I just console myself that it’s doing the trick (hopefully) and my symptoms might one day improve for having it. 

I’m on my second month and am mindful of any changes, particularly with digestive tract issues. I’m careful to respond to any acid reflux (over time, not any more noticeable on AA days) immediately as I’m sensitive to spicy foods & need omeprasole and ranitidine regularly.  I’ll flag that up if it’s a problem though. 

• Posted

I was told in 1999 that my bone density was low and in 2004 when I had another bone scan my T score was Hip -1.2 osteopenia and Spine -3.1 (the higher the number the worse the bone density is)  In January 2005 I had another scan and results were Hip -1.3 Spine -3.1 and I was put onto Actonel and was told that I would need to take medication "for life".  In 2007 my scores were Hip -1.2 and Spine -2.9 so, two years after starting the medication my spine score got slightly better.   I was changed to alendronic acid in 2010 and because I had been on tablets for a total of seven years I had a "holiday" in 2012.  In 2014, while still on "holiday" I slipped and broke my femur so I was put back onto them.  The 2014  scan showed my T score to be Hip -1.1 and spine -2.5 so again slightly better. I carried on taking them until 2017 then I had another scan, this time my hip was -1.1 but my spine was -2.7 (worse) and that's after being on them again for three and a half years!   I decided to stop taking them in September as I was getting pains in my thighs and muscle weakness which is what I had been getting just before I broke my leg.  The hospital rheumatology consultant wants me to have the six monthly injection but as I said to her, if I'm on the tablets I can stop taking them but with the injection once it's in it's in and there are the same side effects with the injection  as there are with the tablets.   So, to sum up, there has been not much change since I was first put onto medication, perhaps the tablets just stop it getting any worse but I think i would rather not take them and hope I don't slip and break another bone.

• Posted

Spindles, it's been said that falling is the major risk for fracture, not one's bone density, so do what you can to maintain your sense of balance.  I took up Nordic walking for the exercise, but have been told by many that it is also used by people for balance.  Tai chi helps develop balance, too.  Not saying that you don't have a good sense of balance, but as we get older this is one of the things which tends to deteriorate,so to avoid risk of fracture I'm trying to keep my sense of balance!

• Posted

When I broke my leg I was walking quickly down the garden on damp grass and slipped as I was wearing Crocs. Lethal.  My own silly fault and that's after taking alendronic acid for a total of twelve years, with a "holiday" in between !

• Posted

I started taking Alendronic Acid last week and took my second dose yesterday. For 4 days last week after taking it I had very frequent flatulence and loose bowel motions. I suspected that this was a side effect. Yesterday and so far today the same side effects are happening. It's very difficult to manage at work and embarrassing. I've never farted like this before!! Will these symptoms resolve as my body gets used to AA?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.