T Score and how bad is it

Posted , 12 users are following.

I am just 60 years old and my T score (just diagnosed) is Lumbar Spine -1.9  Total Hip -2.4 and my Femoral Neck is -2.8

Are these scores very bad for my age and is there any way i can reduce them and build some bone back up.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

My husband wants to buy me a 'Yo Leo Portable Multifunction Rebounder Fitness Tramploine with handlebar' but i am wondering if this would help or actually make matters worse and damage my spine. My lumbar Spine is -1.9 and hips are -2.4

• Posted

I would baulk at this idea for sure. Apart from bone health you can easily cause problems with discs which I did from sneezing.

Now I sneeze with my mouth open and head back.

The problems to the discs have given me far more issues than my -4.3 tscore.

Walking is fine as are other exercises with weights and squats, etc. Light weights are sufficient.

• Posted

You t-scores are not all that bad, actually.  The only one which has crossed the rather randomly determined WHO line for osteoporosis, -2.5, is the femoral neck.  You are well within the range where a decision to refuse any osteoporosis drugs offered you and go completely natural with diet, supplements and appropriate exercise could be very effective, without risking bad side effects.  My femoral neck was -2, and within a year I had improved it to -1.6 despite being on prednisone treatment, which can lead to bone thinning.
  • Posted

My scores are much worse and yes you can improve your bone health as others have done so. I think it might also be easier for people who are only osteopenic like yourself.

Check your calcium levels via blood tests and also your vitamin D levels.

Vitamin K2 is very important as it makes sure the calcium gets onto the bones where it belongs. Take a supplement. 

Have a good diet with leafy greens, lots of vegetables, and things like avocados, prunes, bone broth and cucumber skins. Check your diet to make sure you are getting all the nutrients listed for bone health. You can google for these.

Weight bearing exercise like walking is also recommended.

All the best.

• Posted

Thank you for asking this Jane. Lots of help for me too in the replies. Can I jump on your thread. My lumbar spine T Score was -3.5 and I know that that is into osteoporosis but how bad is it? I am nearly 72 so was 69 when I had the dexascan scan.

I intended to do lots of things like Nordic walking etc but am only getting around to it now!

• Posted

That is well into osteoporosis have they offered you treatment. I have been doing Pilates with osteoporosis from a health line api have found this really good in addition to walking .
    • Posted

Let me understand - you are basing your decisons on treatment on a three year old DXA scan?

If you are of generally light build, your t-score will not be as "dense" as that of a heavier person.  The osteoporosis levels were fairly randomly selected a few years ago by the WHO, but I understand that they even have different standards in different countries, so for an ethnic group that tends to be slighter than the average European the t-scores are calculated differently.  I'd tend to base judgement on taking meds on your complete health profile, not just the t-score.  Natural methods do take time and commitment, but are very much worth it as the only side effect is improved general health!

• Posted

Haha... Yes, Anhaga. Not me, but my GP is going by this old Dexascan but I am going for another one soon.  I was simply trying to gather info because GP is also sending me back to Rheumatologist who I know she thinks will convince me to back on AA. (I took it for about 9 months in my first year on Pred) Hopefully this appointment will be after the dexascan results are in.  I have agreed to go because she also wants her to send me for a Synacthen test. That I am interested in because I'm inclined to think that the PMR has gone into remission but I can't get below 5.5 Prednisolone because of the ludicrous fatigue and general debility that strikes when I try, even using DSNS and only going down by 0.25mg!

i thought it was ok to stay at 5.5mg for a month or two but GP insists this dose is still doing me damage. Anyway, I persist in giving it a go, hoping it will wake these sluggish adrenals up.

• Posted

It's tough, isn't it.  But you are quite right that if you need the 5 or 5.5 because your adrenals are not up to par, then pred is even more your friend, not a foe!  And if there are signs that they are somewhat functional, then maybe all you need is a lot more time for them to come back on line, taking that minimum dose of pred in the meantime.  Good luck!

• Posted

Yes, you probably need Calciun, Vitamin D3, Magnesium, Vitamin K2-7 (at a fairly high dose). There are some good books available which extol the virtues of the above whilst I have my personal experience to attenest to the efficacy of the supplements.  You also need weight bearing exercises.

By the way, your scores are not too bad but shouldn't be allowed to get worse. Doctors tend to prescrive AA but it has a lot of problems and doesn't work very well.

• Posted

I am 60 too and just been told lumbar is -4.5 hips -2.7 . I am scared stiff and was given alendronic acid but after reading about it am afraid to take it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.