T-Tubes removed last week, ok to fly at the weekend?

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am 36 and have had a Tympanostomy tube in both ears due to reoccurring ear infections for the last 10 years (had them replaced several times over the years), this was originally to fix glue ear but my consultant felt they may now be doing more harm than good by letting bacteria into the ear and causing more infections so has removed them. This was done under a general anesthetic last Tuesday (6/3/18), in the leaflet they gave me when they discharged me it says I must not fly until after my follow up appointment (which is 6 weeks after the operation). I have a holiday booked and am due to fly on Sunday 18/03/18 (2 hour flight) I phoned the consultants secretary who checked with him and he said they wouldn't recommend flying, I felt this was because he didn't want to make himself accountable IF there was an issue.

I just wondered, is it safe to fly? surely it would be no different to flying with the t-tubes in place as my ear still has the perforation the tubes left so no difference in pressure?

The healing has been fine, no pain, no bleeding, no discharge, it's like it never happened! I have been really careful to not get water in my ears, not exert myself and to take it easy as recommended. I just don't want to ruin things but at the same time don't want to miss my holiday!!!

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.