T2/FLAIR Supratentorial hyperintensities- unexpected

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

About 8-9 months ago I started to have peripheral vision problems. It would come and go. I couldn't go to the doctor at that time because I didn't have insurance (I am an American). I finally got insurance so I went to see an ophthalmologist for an exam. I was way overdue anyway considering that back in 2011 I had what was believed to be early signs of Optic Nerve Atrophy which was never explained..I passed my vision test with flying colors.. Peripheral vision? Not so much. I have a significant loss in my right eye and a little in the left. The Ophthalmologist could not explain the loss, so he referred me to a neurologist. The neurologist heard my history and decided that he wanted to do an MRI. During the consultation I mentioned to him that I was also having some neck problems. Occasionally I will wake up in the morning with what feels like a pulled muscle in the neck. It is very painful and will last a few days and be gone. I have been thinking it was my bed. I also periodically experience tingling and numbness in some of my fingers in my left hand and left toes. I have also blamed this on my bed lol.. He kinda brushed it off. So, I just got my MRI results back and was really surprised because I expected to really hear that there was nothing wrong. The MRI found: "Discrete foci T2/ FLAIR hyperintensity in the supratentorial white matter, non specific"  When I saw this I about died..  I dropped them off at the neurologist this morning but he isn't in until Tuesday. I'm stressed.. I am also having another chronic issue that I posted in the gallbladder forum. I am going through testing for gallbladder disease too. I have been having severe upper gastric pain for off and on since February. All of these things at once! sad

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I too am waiting to hear my results. It's rather like waiting for exam results...you wonder if you could have done anything to avoid the situation and what the outcome will be. Good luck with it all. cry
  • Posted

Dear Michelle

i am aware that this discussion is 2 years old. Nevertheless I hope to here from you as I suffer from the same symptoms without a clear diagnosis. I have the neck pain especially in the morning and also pain under my left, sometimes right rib cage. MRI showed some peripheral hyperintense  foci in white matter. I have some pins and needles in hands and legs. And I feel lightheaded few times a day. No problems with my eyes yet, but I feel lightheadedness especially coming on when I am driving

• Posted

I too had the very same problems as michellle2876 which initially started with optic neuritis 3y ago when my vision went completely black in one eye and did not return for 3m, this is often bought on by stress but is highly linked to MS as i sadly found out.

more recently i experienced double blurred vision with loss of balance which later found out after an MRI this was secondary to a swelling in the part of the brain causing optical disturbances, i was admitted into hospital for 2 days for IV steriod therapy under the neurology team which immediately corrected the problem as reduced the swelling, then i continued on oral steroid therapy for 6w.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that Johanna. I have no visual problems so far. And no balance issues, but few times nearly blacked out and I have sensory changes,it is better now but I am left with numbness and tingling in hands and feet and sudden onset’s of felling very lightheaded.I will see my Doctor the end of the week again. I try not to worry but it is not working all the time. I am so scared it will be diagnosed with MS

• Posted

I did have a tingling burning sensation in my arm and leg for several years before i was disgnosed, 2 MRI's where negative at this point. hopefully your Doctor will advise further,  unfortunatly MS symptoms can not always be isolated to one thing so can often take years before formally diagnosed like with me. Fingers crossed its not MS but if it is the treatment now is greatly improved but starting treatment quickly is the key.

• Posted

Thank you

Like Michelle I have that pain sometimes more, sometimes less in my neck and under my rib cage and I am telling Doctors for 3 years now that I think it is related but they keep telling me it is probably not.

Do you get fainting spells as well with sometimes hours of feeling foggy or spaced out and sluggish in your brain ? 

I am german by the way but I live in Australia now for 18 years

• Posted

I have never fainted but can often feel off balance and very unsteady..fatigue is a big problem when tired symptoms worsen too as with heat and hot weather.
    • Posted

Yes spaced out feeling is common with memory problems at times

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.