T2 IN YEOVIL IS A DIY THING

Posted , 2 users are following.

diagnosed sept 4 2010 gluco level 25 ,lost appx 30lb in just over 2 months doctor would not give a perscription for cluco strips dispite saying tests would be 3 months apart ,desmonds clinic had a 6 weeks waiting list,the diabetic diatician was on a monthly contract [only came aroud once a month ] the perdiatrists was a joke i had to get my own application form and send it off this resulted 3week wait and i heard nothing so i phoned them up only to find they had an answer phone that did not take messages ,on the third attempt a woman answered and informed me she could not give an appointment because the woman who did that was on sick leave and she did not know when she was comming back ! ,pals were useless ,2 weeks later i get a letter saying i can go to a 1 hour diy course on how to look after myself ! =unbelieavable .

i kepted grting days when the only thing i could do was sleep =twice a week .doctor was not bothered saying [ you wont die your on the pills ! ]

got all of the information of the net bought my own gluco meter sorted out a diet got the level down to 7.5 5.5 ,the only problem was the weight loss im down to between 161 / 164 LBS ,from 182, im 5.10 .

so to sum up treatment in this county is a diy affair so called profeshonals getting big pay cheques and bonuses for a rubbish service

oobuc5

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hope you are going along ok now, and getting used to being diabetic. testinbg strips can be expensive when you cannot get them on a prescription.

i have been diabetic since 2004, and although type two had to go onto insulin and tablets, owing top a heart attack, now i am coming off the isulin, and just having the tablets. my main concern if i dont get the testing strips, i will have no idea how i am progressing. they say you dont need them if you are on tablets, as you will never hypo. margaret edwards.

• Posted

testing is a waste of time if you dont have the knowledge to react on the results. if you convince your doctor that you will learn from the results he/she shouldnt really be able to refuse you. you could ask for a trial 3mths to make an improvement?

your doctor earns a bonus to get your HbA1c below 7mmol. so it is in their interests too.

i have links to a few other forums that will give detailed advice on how to do this. the correct treatment and advice is essential to newly diagnosed diabetics to avoid progression. all my advice and things i have learned have come from experienced diabetics who have self educated themselves.

• Posted

Wherever you are T2 is a DIY business.
  • Posted

You, and only you can take responsibility for your T2. Cut your carbs back( I stay below 90g/day), Find peer support on a site like www.diabetes.co.uk or diabetes-support.org.uk If you end up on insulin learn carb counting from BDEC www.bdec-e-learning.com/welcome.asp and back up anything a medical professional tells you with sound research. I took myself from 18u basal & 34u short acting to 20mg gliclazide, dropping my HbA1c to 5.4 in the process!

Emis Moderator comment: I changed the link to BDEC as the one posted was to the UK defence reference site.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.