T3?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi

I've been on T3 for around 3 weeks now as well as T4 (Eltroxin) and all I can say is the severity of my depression has gone down, and initially my aches and pains went down a bit but that has returned. I've gained 5lbs in these 3 weeks and still have no get up and go. Have any of you experienced any of this with T3? I always end up gaining weight when my thyroxine is increased and I don't know why this happens.

ms

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

i had a similar problem to you and my gp didn't know why that was happening. I came off t3 and stayed on thyroxine and it still didn't make things better. like you, t3 helped my depression when i was on it and reading your comment has made me think perhaps i should go back on to control the depression. I don't know what other advice to give you except go back to your gp and try and find out why this is happening. hope all goes well.
  • Posted

What ratio T3 to thyroxine are you on? It is possible to have too much T3 and that is counter productive. 75 - 100 mcg Thyroxine to 10 mcg T3 is a good combination, but the T3 is best taken in 2 doses of 5 mcg.

Are you under a consultant or just a GP?

• Posted

Thanks for the replies.

I'm on 75mcg and 50mcg thyroxine on alternate days and am taking 10mcg liothyronine (t3). I'm under Dr Skinner for now and will be seeing him soon. somebody else mentioned that I should take 5mcg t3 in the morning and 5 mcg later on, I'm trying that just now.

thanks

• Posted

try reading Ridha Arem's book the thyroid solution. You can get it from amazon. it talks about t3 and how it helps depression etc i think its a really good book and it explains many things about the thyroid. it also mentions how t3 should be taken in small doses throughout the day. its a really good read and i really do recommend it. it helped me to understand the importance and role of t3.

cairn

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.