T3 a real find

Posted , 4 users are following.

Even with 150mcg of T4 it was as though the starter-motor wasn't there - I was particularly slow and very low in the mornings. My endocrinologist had to be persuaded to let me try T3 as he said the evidence for it wasn't there. Within the first few days, I could feel energy returning and mood improving. After a fortnight the depression was gone and hasn't returned at all in the following year. I now take 100mcg T4 and 20mcg T3 in the morning. I am now gradually reducing the anti-depressants that had been prescribed by my Doctor who saw me as just a middle-aged woman who couldn't cope with life and had delusions of having a thyroid problem.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hi jenni i'm like you were cant seem to get out of bed mornings and my mood is up and down, my dr put me on 25mg of thyroxin, what is t4 and t3 do you think i need to go back to my dr
  • Posted

Hi Jenni your posting struck a chord. I've posted here before, trying to remain positive and focus on the good days, but my symptons are similar to yours I'm on 150mg daily, but - as you put it- my starter motor dosn't seem to be working effectively. I'm going to take your posting to my own GP if you have no objections. My GP is very understanding, but I have asked him about T3 before, but like yours he feels there's no proof of it's effectivness - maybe your posting might encourage him to at least let me have a trial smile Jeanne
  • Posted

I suggest you also look on the Thyroid UK website and print off the section about T3. doctors like to say that there is no evidence to support it because it is more expensive that thyroxine and they are thinking about their budgets.

For some people with hypothyroidism it is the only way out of the mire, including myself, but the combination needs to be finely balanced so make sure you have your blood levels carefully monitored.

It is also preferable to take the T3 in a divided dose as it has a very short uptake. :D

• Posted

Hi

I'm glad to hear things are working for you. I'd like to ask when you reduced your 150mcg dosage to 100mcg, how long did you have to wait to introduce the T3?

I was on 75mcg and was having symptoms of hyperthyroidism and am now split dosing. Before split dosing I persuaded my endocrinologist if I could try T3. She wasn't happy about it but ended up giving me 10mcg. I went onto 50mcg thyroxine for a week before I introduced the T3 which made me feel really ill i.e. I have tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and that was really loud and I felt I couldn't move. Do you think I should've stayed on 50mcg thyroxine a bit longer before taking the T3?

I'll be seeing my endo at the end of September and will mention T3 again. I'm still very down, I have no get up and go, and my GP wants me on anti depressants and says that if I don't take them I'm going to become psychotic!!!

It's really nice to hear that someone is feeling better, it gives me some hope.

ms

• Posted

I was on 150mcg until the switch to a T4/T3 combination. One day 15mcg T4 and the next 100mcg T4 and 20 mcg T3. Absolutely no negatives for me. It took a few days before I noticed the difference, but after a fortnight there was a huge difference. I have found this to be a condition where you really have to fight to be heard and to be taken seriously.Do not believe that your depression is anything other than due to your low thyroid function. You are not weak and feeble. Get the thyroxine right and you will see the difference.Good luck with your next appointment. How about asking your endocrinologist to just give you a trial and if, after a month, you are no better, you will admit it hasn't helped.
  • Posted

I have been taking 200mcg levothyroxine for 15 years and found that last year I was having symptoms :lol: again - tired, weight gain, depression, dry skin, hair loss etc even though I was taking the tablets. I began to think that my new gp had substituted placebos!

Blood tests were done and he said that I had high levels of T4 and low level of TSH so he lowered the dose of levothyroxine. This made me feel dreadful. I knew that something was wrong with me but the computer said no!

I persevered with the gp and asked to see an endo.

I have just completed one month of taking liothyronine - T3, 20 mcg prescribed by the endo and feel really great, back to myself again even though I only take 100 levothyroxine. I go back to see the endo in 4 weeks time. Its been a horrible year but worth persevering with gp's.

• Posted

Hi jenni and jamilia

I'll suggest that to my endo when I see her next month. The only problem was that when she gave me T3 she didn't tell me how long I should reduce the Thyroxine before taking it. I already knew about T3 and how it has helped many people from my own research into it.

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to be hopeful now.

ms

• Posted

Hi again

Before you started the T3 what were your T4, T3 and TSH levels?

When I was on 75mcg thyroxine, my TSH was 0.1; T4 was 17 and T3 has always been at 4. This dosage was giving me symptoms of thyrotoxicosis (too much thyroxine). This didn't give me any energy at all. I started to gain weight rapidly, couldn't move from where I was sitting, my mind was working overtime - constant twittering in my head, severe rage and anger and extreme pain in my muscles and overwhelming fatigue.

Since I've been split dosing, taking 75mcg 4x a week and 50mcg 3x a week my T4 is 15; TSH 4.2 and T3 at 4.

ms

• Posted

Hi, MS

I can't remember scores exactly. T4 was probably around 14 and T3 was, like yours, around 4. With T3 my scores are - T4 around 10 and T3 just under 6.

Another thing to consider is the time it takes the body to get used to thyroxine. I started very slowly indeed and yet it was still too much for my body (rushed to A&E with massively fast heart rate) so had to stop, wait and re-start. I won't say 'Be patient' because I wanted to slap people who said that to me, but time may be an issue. Take care. Jenni.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.