T3 on the scale 9 to 25 I was at 10 been taking meds 52 year old where should it be up at 25

Posted , 4 users are following.

Between 9 and 25 what level should be at please

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Test Abbreviation Typical Ranges

Serum thyroxine T4 4.6-12 ug/dl

Free thyroxine fraction FT4F 0.03-0.005%

Free Thyroxine  FT4 0.7-1.9 ng/dl

Thyroid hormone binding ratio  THBR 0.9-1.1

Free Thyroxine index FT4I 4-11

Serum Triiodothyronine T3 80-180 ng/dl

Free Triiodothyronine l FT3 230-619 pg/d

Free T3 Index FT3I 80-180

Radioactive iodine uptake RAIU 10-30%

Serum thyrotropin TSH 0.5-6 uU/ml

Thyroxine-binding globulin TBG 12-20 ug/dl T4 +1.8 ugm

TRH stimulation test Peak TSH 9-30 uIU/ml at 20-30 min

Serum thyroglobulin l Tg 0-30 ng/m

Thyroid microsomal antibody titer   TMAb Varies with method

Thyroglobulin antibody titer TgAb  Varies with method

• Posted

Sorry that means nothing at all to me. I have a copy of my last blood test results my serum TSH levels says above range at 35 miu/L (0.3 - 5.0) serum free T4 level 10 pmol/(9.0 - 25.0) looking at it it says nothing about T3 but the doc said it was at 10 and extremely low does that make any more sense sorry to sound thick but could you explain roughly were my levels should be thanks
  • Posted

Hello Salty1:

My name is Shelly and I am an RN in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

T3 is also called Liothyronine and the measurements differ in testing between countries.

T4 is thyroxine and must convert to T3 in the body. T3 is the useable hormone and the only one the body can use for energy, metabolism, periods, brain,  etc...

When T3 is low you may not be converting Levothyroxine (Synthroid) well enough and the body is excreting too much out.  T4 which is Levo must convert and so if this is slow in your body or not working as it should, your T3 level will be low.  You may have a high TSH also because your thyroid is not converting it into useable T3.  I know it is confusing! Normal TSH is  0.45 to 4.50 and in the 2 to 3 range is ideal.

I had this problem and had to switch off of Levo years ago.  Also some of the med is lost to urine and feces and dumped by the liver if in excess.

The way it is supposed to work is your body takes in the medication and in your bowel it is absorbed.  Then your thyroid gets it and converts T4 into T3.  Some is also let go in a 24 hour period by the urine & feces and the liver.

Some people who do not have a thyroid anymore - it can take longer to build a level and work.  the body would depend on the liver and bowels more in that case.

Always take it without food, as food will block Levo.  Now in some of us, as we age we may need a change in dose of the med or you may need to add in T3 which is supported by NHS I am told.  Some people need 2 meds some T4 and some T3. Some need only T3.  If you gained a lot of weight you may need more Levo.

Make sure your Ferritin (a component of iron) is above 70+ or Levo will not work well. This is often overlooked but we need this to make our hormones work.  Always take any vitamins 4 hours or more after any thyroid med.

I hope this helps, if you do not understand it or have any questions,  just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Hi Shelly, if your T3 is low what would your symptoms be? I also have mucus and blood in my poo,I have an appointment at the Hospital end of September , I just wondered if it could be connected? 
    • Posted

Hello Donna:

Low T3 (Liothyronine) levels makes you feel very tired and sleepy, exhausted after a small chore, brain foggy, bowel problems like constipation, low temp and low pulse, weight gain despite diet, headaches, brusing for no reason, muscle aches and pains, dizzy at times, no periods or infrequent ones, depression feeling. these are common ones there are more.

Some people get loose bowels on thyroid meds, and it can move digestion too fast and that can make the feces have a yellow color or off color and  mucus can be seen.

Blood and or mucus in your feces, can be from a myriad of things, like an ulcer that bleeds at times, colon  or bowel problems like in Crohn's disease, Diverticulosis, Colon cancer, GERD problems and Irritable Bowels, Hemmorhoids internal and external ones.

They have tests to see inside your bowels called a colonoscopy and they can see and get a sample if they see anything that looks abnormal. Also a test called Hemocult can test for any hidden blood.

Sometimes diet can cause oily stools or Gall Bladder problems can cause mucus and pain after meals. 

Also Hemmorhoids can be internal and can also cause blood in the feces.  If that happens they have stool softeners to help with that. If it is this they can remove them or cauterize them.

I hope this helps, any questions just ask.

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you very much for that information its very complicated.trying to get info out of the is like trying to get blood out of a stone.I am just on my way to the doctors to pick up my meds. The info about when to take my meds and supplements is a great help thanks very much
    • Posted

Hello Salty1:

I know how you feel about information on the thyroid. The way the body works is complex and confusing.  If you have any questions just ask. 

Stay well,

Shelly

• Posted

Hello Shelly got my blood test results back yesterday they are as follows. Serum free T4 level 11pmol/L (9.0-25.0) the next one says Serum TSH level 5.6 miu/L (0.3 - 5.0) it says that it's above range. Nothing about T3. The T4 as gone up 1 and the TsH as gone up from 3.5 to 5.6 they have put my meds up from 50 to 75 and told me to come back in 12 weeks for another blood test any thoughts about this regards Paul salty1

• Posted

Hello Salty1:

The TSH is a bit high.  High end means Hypo not enough thyroid hormone. It should be 0.45 to 4.50 and some scales 5.0 max. So being at 5.6 is a bit over, and to raise the current dose is proper.  25mcg and  50mcg doses are considered low doses and or starter doses.  Most people are on 75mcg to 150mcg,  and I think 75mcg should help you a lot.

Now make sure you do not take the hormone anywhere near food.  Also if you take vitamins, make sure they are 4 or more hours after your dose of Levo.  Give yourself about 6 weeks to see a change.  It needs to build a proper level.  The body is slow and takes some time to build it up.

The T4 should in time hit about mid point on the scale anywhere between 12-19 or so on your next blood draw.

You may see changes like feeling more energy and in time any Hypo symptoms will fade. 

It is proper guidelines to wait 12 weeks or so, before testing the blood again, as I said it takes a while to build the level.  The body must take the medication in and process it. Then some is lost in feces and urine and it builds on the left over amount called a "half life" and the process repeats each day.  So you can see it is slow to do in our fast paced lives.

Please keep us updated on how you feel as you go through this.  It is common to have to change doses even if you have been on one dose for  a while.

Any questions just ask,

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you so much you have a lot more help than my doctors I will keep you updated
    • Posted

Hello I got the TsH levels wrong I thought the doc said 3.5 when they were 35 which seems really high but my last test it had come down to 5.6 after being put on 50micro of the med. I am now on 75 think that cus of my age. I will let you know what it comes down to after my next blood test. Thanks again
    • Posted

Hello Salty1:

Most people are on 75mcg to 150mcg  doses.  25 & 50 mcg doses are starter doses.

Yes, 35 is high, however I have seen much worse.  The thyroid takes time to adjust to the new dose and make a new level.  Each time a dose is changed it can take 6 weeks to make a new level.  The body works slow. 

TSH should be 0.45 to 4.50 and most doctors like it to be 1.0 to 3.0 or so and the next time they draw blood things will improve.

Please keep me updated on how the next blood does. It should get much better.

Shelly

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.