TAA and bicuspid valve--I'm worried by the Drs aren't!

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Everyone! I'm 50 years old and three years ago, during a CT scan for something else, they discovered that I had an Ascending Aortic Aneurysm (4.4 cm). They also discovered thyroid tumors and so the aneurysm wasn't really addressed. About 8 months ago my regular doctor mentioned that my bp was on the high side, I reminded her that I had an aneurysm. You do?? She says! Realizing that it had been two years and not rechecked, she sent me for another CT. Luckily there was no growth! I asked her for a referral to a cardiologist. She didn't think it was necessary, but she finally agreed. That doctor sent me for an echo, which showed a bicuspid valve. I've seen the cardiologist since for my 6 month check (no CT, just an office visit). But I'm concerned that he isn't taking this seriously. He told me no restrictions on exercise (just don't take up weight lifting LOL!) but everything else is normal. Just live your life.  I'm  a woman, 5' tall (and weigh too much).  From all I've read, I think I should see a surgeon. Oh, there is a strong family history--both of my parents had aneurysms. My father's ruptured but they caught it and he survived. My mother had an abdominal that was caught and repaired. My older brother had an abdominal aneurysm at 43. So, I'm worried! I don't want to have surgery but I'm scared of the alternative. Has anyone else had doctors who don't seem to think this is a big deal? Maybe I'm just paranoid? I'd love to hear that I am! Thanks (and sorry this was so long!). 

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thank you to all of you! I am trying to move forward (as if I didn't have a bomb waiting to go off in my chest!). Have any of you read the research about the size of the aneurysm should be compared to the relative size of the person? According to the equation, my score is a 10, which is supposed to mean surgery (probably the only time I'll ever be rated a 10--LOL!). I am currently symptom free, as far as I can tell (I've been having a lot of palpitations but am assuming that's stress). Anyway, thanks for your input! I'm so glad I found a place like this. 

• Posted

Yes, there are a lot of things that are factored in. Height, sex, weight, age, health condition etc.. The normal size of your aorta also makes a difference. A male taller and heavier than you would naturally have a larger aorta so his aneurysm size for surgery may be allowed to get larger than 5.5cm before becoming a threat. A petite person aorta may be naturally smaller and 5.5cm would be a threat...try to calm your fears as much as you can. I realize its hard but it will get better. Just take care of you.
    • Posted

When I mentioned body size as an issue, my cardiologist waived it off and said that didn't make any difference--size is size, he said. But the guidelines all say that it should be considered. One of the issues, I think, is that he doesn't know where to refer me for surgery. There is no one in my area who does this type of surgery and no one in my current insurance plan who does. When I see him in January (my next check-up) I'm going to insist that he find someone for me to meet with. In the meantime, I'm just going to try to chill! Thanks. 

• Posted

I TOTALLY AGREE on being referred to someone that does this surgery routinely. I am a veteran so my surgery was at a VA hospital in my area but they are connected to a major hospital directly across the street. The two hospitals are attached by a above ground tunnel where doctors and patients can conveniently travel or be transported. Aneurysm repairs are performed almost daily! Don't allow your dr to have all the power. Start your own search for Cardiac surgeons near you that are skill in this type of surgery. Sounds like you got the chill part down..lol.

• Posted

I live about 60 miles from Chicago and there are two hospitals there that do this type of surgery all the time. Otherwise, it's the luck of the draw. So I'm hoping that if this sucker blows I'll be in Chicago when it happens! 

• Posted

With the thyroid/weight/ & BP, you should consider organic wheat grass, good results in reducing appetite and removing belly fat/cleaning your arteries. I use the powder and could care less about the taste which is outweighed by the benefits. 

• Posted

Hi Shannon, I feel a bit the same. Mine was discovered by chance at 4.9 and it was later discovered that it was noted at 4cms four years ago but no one told me or my GP. So like you am concerned by the seeming lack of plan. After seeing a cardiologist I was referred for an MRI (8 weeks wait) it has taken me 5 weeks to get a GP appointment without going in as an drop in emergency. Like you I don't feel particularly cared for. Part of me wants to believe its not a big deal but the other part thinks if I don't fight no-one else will. So letting you know am with you and look forward to hearing about your progress. We can at least all support each other. I want to just live my life...and I worry if I am over worrying....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.