Tablet form levothyroxine and Eltroxin?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi does anyone know if there is any difference between the 2 tablets mentioned above in Title?

I have been on levothyroxine since having thyroid completely removed 5yrs then with no discussion pharmacist gave me Eltroxin in replacement when I needed another lot of. Assuming I take as per normal for 2.5 mths feeling terrible ie no energy, constant tiredness, weight gain....only to discover I was not taking the correct dosage in this time frame. Yes it states on label dosage, which is double the amount of levothyroxine! Hence wanting to know if there is a difference between tablets? But am not happy with not being informed! Have started taking correct dosage past few days, will give it couple weeks, but believe I'm feeling better...will see. Have also made appt to see doctor and discuss this scenario. Has anyone also had this experience?

More than 1 question in this paragraph...hoping for feedback...😊

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Murcury Pharma own the original drug Levothyroxine.

Quite a few different firms also produce a generic version.

This is a global matter not confined to the UK.

I have been on thyroxine since 1995.

It was commonly disputed that different companies producing thyroxine were bioequivalent when all said they were.

Many qualified people stated that they did not believe generic producers were bio equivalent and so patients would have problems. I was one of those patients. I had problems.

The owners of Levothyroxine changed hands far to often. Its not (or was not) an easy drug to copy so was stated.

However as I recall?? Murcury Pharma bought the drug from the title holder ????? and stated that for a period of time they would (about a year of two) continue to produce both Levothyroxine and Eltroxin as separate drugs. As I recall the price was different also.

They also announced that they would eventually become exactly the same.

A few months back (whatever) from this date December 2020 they became the same.

My GP switched to the present one called Eltroxin when they became the same,

I have used the MURCURY PHARMA brand for years now with no problems whatever and I am fussy enough, as my GP practise would testify. Now it can be EXTROXIN on the MURCURY PHARMA packet but the same product as Levothyroxine BY MURCURY PHARMA.

So to sum up Murcury Pharma announced their intentions a long time back.

If any one tells you all producers are the same for this drug then things have changed and I would be assertaining that it is now true.

Show this letter to a qualified person who is not dogmatic either way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.