Tablets for anxiety /perimenopause

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ladies, is anyone taking this tablet called amytriptilyn? My doctor says it's good for anxiety and to calm the nerves. Any feedback is appreciated.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

hey..hope all is well..My dr put me on fluoxetine for anxiety and am looking for feedback on it..have you started taking it yet? I too suffer from anxiety but was unsure whether to take it or not..I have to do something because me trying to control it myself is getting hard. Hope someone can help us out on either one๐Ÿ™

• Posted

hey..hope all is well..My dr put me on fluoxetine for anxiety and am looking for feedback on it..have you started taking it yet? I too suffer from anxiety but was unsure whether to take it or not..I have to do something because me trying to control it myself is getting hard. Hope someone can help us out on either one๐Ÿ™

• Edited

Hi yes its another name for Elavil. That med is an old school antidepressant that has been around for a while and it is used for many different conditions such as anxiety/depression, migraines, IBS and overactive nerves. I am considering trying it next if I cannot tolerate these birth control pills which I am having a hard time with. Let me know if you try it and how it works.

• Edited

Kadija1966 I just recently tried it, and does help but the drawback if you miss taking it or stop there is a withdrawal that comes with it, which means my anxiety was overboard. With me, my anxiety would come around a certain time is when i would take it but the after effect to me was worse. Also, it increases your appetite alot, which was good for me because i need to gain weight but the down size with me, my diet is very limited because of many food allergies. These are only my experiences. I will go back to the natural remedies, like Holy Basil, 5-htp, st John Wort, L-theanine, chamomile, etc.

• Edited

My doctor advised me to take it at night as it calms the nerves and also she says it's helps with migraines headache and nausea which is making me miserable. I have not taken it yet, nowadays I have this fear in taking medicines, this menopause has created so much anxiety in me. I have constant fear of everything.

hopefully I will give it a try tomorrow

• Edited

Hi, did you try counselling before taking meds for anxiety? Or anyone out there has tried counselling & if it works. My anxiety has taken a toll on my physical & mental health & i am seriously considering counselling before resorting to medicines which often come with many side effects.

• Edited

I agree with you Irene1210...I don't like taking medication if there is another alternative.. My dr prescribed Fluoxetine and I have not taken it yet..was trying to handle my anxiety on my own..it is getting alittle better..I walk and listen to spiritual music which has really helped..also I talk to family members who always give me reassurance and spiritual guidance. I pray and know that menopause does not last always..๐Ÿ™

• Edited

Hi

Good point. I think I will try some counselling as I get it for free.

I did counselling after my relationship ended some years ago, it helped me alot to move on.

It's a good suggestion to explore some counselling during these difficult times in perimenopause, maybe it will give us some perspective on this challenging times.

• Posted

i am having my 1st counselling session today. Hope it will help me with my condition. My anxiety has gotten so bad that my heart keeps pounding non stop. You are very lucky to get free counselling. In my country, I have to pay U$280 for an hour. All the best to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.