tachycardia and pregnancy

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm currently in hospital due to a heart rate of approx 150 bpm but 11 weeks pregnant. I have a history of sinus tachycardia but was discharged from cardiac clinic a couple of years ago with propranolol. As soon as my gp knew that I was pregnant all my medication including citalopram was taken off me as it was "too risky" well after a couple of weeks of telling my gp I can feel my tachycardia coming back who I felt partly "fobbed me off" although I appreciate they have to be careful am now back in hospital because of my fast heart rate. Just wanted to ask if anyone also has gone through pregnancy with tachycardia and what health wise they did as all I wanna do is go home!!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Dear Christina

Sorry to hear about your worries.

Not being a lady I can't say about this condition during pregnancy except a lot of the ladies on this forum seem to have developed ectopics during their pregnancies so maybe it has made yours worse.

I did take propanonol for a while but didn't feel this helped so I stopped.

I know it isn't nice being in hospital but hopefully they are monitoring you and your baby well and if there are cause for concern they will do their best for you.

Sorry can't be of any great help but try and keep positive and look forward to being a mom.

Best wishes

Gapsmile

• Posted

Hi, I suffered from ectopic heart beats along with SVT when I was pregnant and I was allowed to take Atenolol during my pregnancy by the cardiologist - everything worked out fine - baby was unaffected and was a massive relief.

I didn't want to take this during my pregnancy but my heart was throwing rhythms and beats that were too difficult for me to cope with.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply Suzy I'm still in hospital but have heard atenolol mentioned earlier but they're checking with the doctors from like 12 hours ago! I've had an echo this pm too x x
    • Posted

Hi,

Make sure if you are put on a beta blocker such as atenolol that you are ok blood pressure wise.... I found it made mine drop and felt a bit dizzy but at the time I was put on it I was in my last two months of pregnancy so I was careful with going out and about and resting.

You take care xx

• Posted

Hi,  Rate of 150 is not so bad, in my opinion as long as it does not stay too long.  I use to get into the 200's!  Hang in there and I have heard many say as soon as they deliver, things get back to normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.