Tachycardia? Please help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi! I'm 16, female, and I've recently been sick (caught a cold) and had a fever... At rest my heart rate would go as high as 116-120 bpm, and when I stand up, it shoots up to 130! Now my fever has seemed to go down (still coughing and fatigued) but I checked my heart rate this morning before getting out of my bed, it was around 84-94... But when I got up, it quickly shot back up really high! Now sitting down, it's not going down anymore than 104 (though I am a little anxious at this point). I never had any heart problems, though I do think it might've always been pretty high, since I checked my heart right on my own for the first time last week... (110-120). My doctor doesn't ever talk about my heart rate being bad... About 2 months ago, she said it was good, so I have no idea what to do. Please help me out! Thank you very much for your time, and for reading.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

At 16 you are going to have a really hard time convincing you GP or regular Dr that you have a heart problem, if you do it would be extremely rare at 16, as in 1 in 100,000 or even higher.

Are you breathless as soon as you try to move about, not just high heart rate.

Are you overweight, your heart rate would be much higher than what is considered normal if you are carrying alot of weight.

Did you realise that some of those olympic athelets, have a heart rate in the high 30's, its because they are soooo fit, and their legs are doing alot of the work of circulating their blood.

I know of a man here in australia, who managed to prove he had a heart issue, when the Dr's wouldn't believe him by purchasing a high end fitbit that recorded his heart rate, outlay about $400.00aud

You can then download the results to your computer and print off the results, he took that to his Dr, and was admitted to heart hospital the same day for treatment, he had a electrical issue with his heart, he was getting all sorts of odd beats, they treated his issue and gave him a pacemaker, problem solved.

• Posted

I don't get breathless, only on certain activities (maybe my cough is doing that)?And I'm not overweight, in fact, I'm actually underweight. But thank you very much for the input on how likely I am to actually have a heart problem, but I think I'll just wait it out and see if it drops after I've completely recovered from my cold. Thanks again! smile

• Posted

Cold medicines can affect heart rate. I hope you feel better now.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.