Tacrolimus

Posted , 8 users are following.

Just wondering if anybody has been prescribed tacrolimus for their LS. I have an appointment next week and am going to discuss with the consultant so any information appreciated. I see its listed on Patient as second line treatment.

1 like, 22 replies

22 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

HEy Samantha! thanks for that. I looked up protopic but none of my googling came up with a product of that name... BUT Amazon offered up several alternatives one of which is called the  Mother of All Creams. I looked into what they were pointing to.. all nice we've all heard of, but it had the added AMARANTH oil... now that perked up my ears - what about it?  It turns out amaranth is called a complete protein because it has LYSINE in it. Well that's even more cool since that has already been in my list of what is needed to aid Autoimmune disorders.  But it didn't know about amaranth as a complete protein  -

GRIN   so NOW, I'm going to get some amaranth and learn to make hot breakfast with it as I learn how to be a vegan. smiles !! so thanks .. I don't know what is in your protopic but this was a very fun and fruitful  adventure down another rabbit hole of LS. 

• Posted

Hi Nancy, protopic is a trade name for tacrolimus I think.

"1 g of Protopic 0.1% ointment contains 1.0 mg of tacrolimus as tacrolimus monohydrate (0.1%)."

• Posted

Nancy, we are probably in the same age range (70). Was your LS said to be a result of lack of estrogen? Do you use estrogen cream as well?

What particular diet are you following? I eat basically a Mediterranean diet. Use no added sugar with the exception of honey sometimes. Don't eat many sweets. I do drink kefir everyday and it has pretty much resolved my IBS. No doctor ever suggested it; I tell them about it. The gyn did not mention anything to me about diet re the LS either. 

I did ask her about using olive oil topically for the LS. She said it would sooth only; not heal. Only the steroid would do that, but now I am reacting to the steroid.

thanks.

• Posted

OH... thanks, Joe for looking that up. 
    • Posted

HI Beverly, yes I'm 72.  You know, you give me pause... I don't remember what my doctor aid about my hormone levels?  I do remember him saying that I didn't need to take DHEA which I had read was supposed ot be good for post menopausal.  So I haven't taken it for over a year I guess. But ya know, He may not know everything.. and I haven't pressed for any hormone tests etc.  I know that medicare/medicaid doesn't pay for them.  

Oh, but I did just recently come across an article from some doctor who is saying that .. most menopausal women are not deficient in estrogen... but in Testosterone.  I want to read up more about that. 

Your gyn is correct that olive oil does not heal LS; but she is wrong to imply that steroids do heal.  they do not. Check it out online. Steroids do help with reducing inflammation locally in our case, but that is not healing a condition, that is not a SYSTEMIC-wide CURE.   

Your GP is getting closer to the answer I believe, when he mentions anti-fungals. He just needs to learn or suggest the INTERNAL, ie. systemic antifulngals as well as the external creams.

The BORAX or boron is an extremely potent bacterial and fungal killer - that's why is on my list of autoimmune protocols (and many other people's lists too; but a lot gets lost in translation and then new people don't know WHY they should be taking XYZ. 

For instance I do hope that all you ladies who use borax sprays on your vjays know that the POWER of borax is actually in the systemic internal cleansing, right? are you all also making and drinking your borax water each day? (remember that boron/borax is an element in the human body - we are COMPOSED of  61 elements, 29 of which science knows the purpose of and BORON is one of them). 

so sorry for the digressing, Beverly, my diet ... well just like everyone here, we feel it out as we go along. Right now I'm working on being  vegan and  feel better for it - my digestion does at any rate and I presume my LS as well.  I had been allowing myself fruit and maple syrup in my breakfast oatmeal for ages now, BUT just this morning I woke to a twinge. so I used my trusty pendulum to muscle test/ dowse every single breakfast choices and found that all of a sudden my body is saying no to fruit (for the moment) and to maple sugar. but I dowsed that it would be happy to ingest Xylitol... which i ran out of a bit ago but had previously determined is okay. (from the health food store, it comes in a package and can be used just like sugar - looks like it too.)  Oh, and apparently I all of a sudden don't ant rice anymore either - but dowsing says yes to lentils and barley, amaranth. no to millet. 

Grin I'll teach ya all dowsing if you like it's really easy just takes a bit of practice. then maybe we'll all be WELL! 

• Posted

OH! oh, and besides boron.. Grape seed extract is the PRIMO antifungal.  so easy to take... 
  • Posted

I notice no one mentions using Triamcinolone Acetonide. Was prescribed this steroid cream along with hormone cream. Doc said the LS was a result of lack of estrogen in my case (70 yrs old). Told to use this steroid every night along with hormone cream (for AV). Was able to tolerate the hormone (estradiol) for about 6 weeks before vag burning began. Now applying twice a week only.

After 2 1/2 months steroid  suddenly caused inflammation, redness, burning. Stopped using, informed doctor's office, but have not heard back from doc (on vacation).

Is this particular steroid an unusual treatment? It was surprisingly inexpensive (compared to very expensive hormone cream). Had been prescribed it once before by a dermatologist for a red patch on my face that was diagnosed as seborrheic dermatitis (also on scalp). When I told my GP (who had skin issues of his own) he said that an anti-fungal cream was more appropriate. Didn't find that either reduced the redness, but then I didn't use them religiously. I put a little concealer on it and don't think much about it. Obviously the LS has got me concerned.

I have no white plaques that I can see, only a thin white outline inside buttocks. It is difficult to ascertain which cream has caused most of the positive results as I have used them together. According to gyn at checkup after 1 month she said things were coming along nicely.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.