TAIL BONE PAIN

Posted , 4 users are following.

Anyone having tail bone pain?  Has anyone received a steroid injection in their coccyx bone?  And if so, has it helped and for how long?  Can it be done in the doctor's office or does it have to be done in an hospital?  Thanks so much for any replies in advance.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had injection at hospital as out patient. In and out in less than 2 hours.

good luck. I hope it gives you relief for a long tine. In my experience it only lasted for a few days. I don't want to discourage you and please know that everyone is different and in different stages of AS. exercises to strength core muscles has helped ask for PT.

• Posted

Thank you for sharing.  It hurts so bad to be sitting, and worse yet when I have to get up.  I will be asking my rheumy at my upcoming appointment about giving it a try.
  • Posted

Also,ask your rhumy about biological injections. See studies on line.
    • Posted

I started Enbrel a year ago.  The pain and swelling in my hands and tail bone actually improved.  Also staved off the pain as it was travelling up my spine and wrapping around my rib cage.  I had costochondritis and left shoulder blade was hurting.  I went off Enbrel for a few weeks to get the flu shot and right away my tailbone started up again.  It keeps getting worse even though I have been back on the Enbrel for 3 1/2 months.  Both my shoulder blades are starting to hurt now.  I need to go back on steroids but my gut has been bothering me.
    • Posted

I am sorry to hear that enbrel has stopped working for you. Have you thought about trying another bio. 

It sounds like you have the same pain as I do . It is painful & I wearing back brace soft core and shoulder support as well as exercises has helped me. 

Back pain is the worst and I cannot sleep in a bed . I sleep in a recliner which adjusts to zero gravity. Have you tried zero gravity chairs? Many stores carry them just to check one out may help give you a better idea how they work for back joint and many other chronic pain issues. 

Steroids are are hard on the joints and can cause lubricant soft tissue around bones and joints to disintegrate. I cannot take steroids for more than 2-3 times a year. It does take away all the swelling and I feel so much better. However the risk factor is always there and my physician will not RX them due to the side effects 

I hope you can feel better soon . It can be so exhausting to fight cronic pain every day. I hope you have support and keep busy with things you can do. I have a little collection of dogs and cats and 2 horses. They keep me busy and they are so commical  provide a few good laughs every day! Very comforting and daily outings, walks helps with a good mood boost. Well even chocolate is a great pick me up !

• Posted

You sound so me. Yes I have gravity chairs, even keep one at work.  I have Himmy cats, a German Shepherd, a Yorkie, 6 horses, tropical fish and Koi garden pond outside.  And I eat everything chocolate!  Lol!
    • Posted

Himmy cats ? R they Himalayan cats.? Very active. German Shepard are so smart I wonder how high on the IQ TEST compared to borders? Yorkies are so cute and quite the lap dog . 

my border collies love to keep the deer off the pastures and herd the horses. 

I have Manx cats, shelties,border collies and a collie. A Tenn. Walker horse 18 hands and a very bright Arabian horse. 

What kind of horses do u have ? Wow?..6 that's a lot of recycled hay to clean up! Lol...

koi fish had many of them in pond outside too until a raccoon wiped them all out in one night. Had them for 6 years were very friendly. Now just keep gold fish and a elec fence around the pond. Racoons are the marauders of this area. Keep my cats in at night too due to coyotes.

peace & healing👍

• Posted

Yes, Himalayan.  I've trained mine to chase the deer, too.  This summer she got bit by a bear that came on the property.  Quarter Horse, Paint and Arab.  I use to have 48 horses of which 3 were breeding stallions.  I can't physically due that anymore.  My daughter and boyfriend take care of the remaining horses.  We also run between 60-80 beefers.  I also have problems with raccoons, fox, mink and hawks going after the chickens.  And now an owl keeps picking off my guineas at night that prefer roosting in the trees rather than going in the coop.  The coyotes here don't bother our livestock.  There are plenty of rabbits and woodchucks.  Also, neighbor in the back is a butcher and there's always plenty of scraps for them.

• Posted

The farm life is very demanding. A lot of livestock really needs a small crew to manage. I have down sized to manage. It does take a toll on our health. Tractors can only help with so much of the work load, it's great that you  have some help. Not to mention up keep of property, barns & housing it all adds up. 

Its amazing how we manage it all when we are young as this lifestyle is in the blood . Years later I have had my body break down with one thing after another. Three new hips and I still ride the Tenn Walker he has has a smooth easy gate like a rocking chair.

It's tough to give up all the things we used to do. It's almost as if I have greived my past life & now just movin on adjusting to changes as health issues creep up! 

My my doc has suggested the bio drug Etanercept as my next option & I have had several spinal blocks & has helped for about 5 months each time. PT is best to strengthen core muscles learning new ways to move, lift with back issues is very helpful and muscle relaxers help so much at nite. Hope you find relief soon. 

I thank the animals I care for as they have lifted my spirits daily!  

Take Care

• Posted

Hi ginam6661,

I have tailbone pain but have never had a steroid injection. To my knowledge, it's usually done in a doctor's office. (I did have a Caldolor shot for back pain once that was somewhat helpful). I have had two family members get steroid shots (one in shoulder, one in knee) and they had good results. I hear actually getting the shot itself can be painful. Also, it's not a permanent fix and there is no telling as to how long it will last. Some people, it doesn't help at all. Hopefully, it will work for you.

• Posted

Thank you and I'm going to ask my rheumy about getting it on my upcoming visit.  Any relief from this would be most welcoming.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.