Take 4

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am a retired maths teacher with a first class degree. That all seems a long time ago, another lifetime in fact as I am currently suffering the worst bout of depression I have ever experienced.

As someone who was capable of running a department and living a very full life, the simplest of

tasks now seem beyond me to the extent that I feel as if I am going mad. I can't sleep and am now

about to embark on a course of Mirtazapineafter trying and failing to find help with Venlafaxine,

Sirtraline,and fluoxetine(Hence Take 4) Is there light at the end of this long dark tunnel?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

That dark whole is not a very nice place to be in I know. Such a shame that you have to do Take 4. I suffer from depression to. Just embarked on a masters course and now having to leave as I am too unwell to continue, I have a background in the mental health fields and would love to share some of the things that have worked for me. Medication has a place for sure and finding the right one is crucial. Once found make sure your dose age is effective neither to ow or high but this can be monitored with your GP. I would also suggest talking therapies as sometimes our depression has stopped the things we have treasure the most in our lives and that needs to be expressed. There are many other things that can help in small achievable steps but its unpicking things step by step. I know it's hard but being good to yourself , some light exercise, meeting with friends can all help little by little. There are great support groups for depression out there. I myself am looking for that too. A chance for share and help others on this journey to. I do hope you find a way that works for you.

Get well son and best wishes

• Posted

Sorry about spelling and grammar mistakes
  • Posted

Hi Patsy, thanks for your response. It is always good to know there are others out there. I have decided at the moment not to go ahead with the fourth med and try without anything. The first few days without have been good but I am now back in a bad place. I agree that talking therapies are a good idea and I am seeing a

counsellor who has suggested that whenever I am thinking negatively about something turn that thought on its head and find a positive spin on it and write it down. It is a great idea and so simple so for eg instead of beating myself up about losing at tennis, I think how great it was that I was playing !

• Posted

Hi, so sorry to hear this but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I've tried every anti depressant under the sun. What I take now and have done for a couple of years is Mitazapine 45mg and Sertraline 200mg, I take

them all in the evening just before I'm going to sleep, i do this because they increase your appetite very

quickly I was eating everything in sight in less than an hour of taking them and gained a lot of weight Lol. It

took 3 months before the Sertraline tablets kicked in but it was worth the wait - they saved my life, after

already making two attempts on my life. I never ever thought that I would come out of this living Hell !!!

Hope that this May be of some help to you

• Posted

Hi Howie

I'm sorry to hear you are having a hard time of it at present ... and no you are not alone in that!

I know Mirt has some awful reviews on this site, that I stumbled on the other day, & they did make me pretty worried about what I had started on. But like you, this is the 4th AD I've tried (Citalopram made me agitated, Sertraline I had a bad reaction to, Fluoxetine didn't work at all - made me worse) So have been on Mirt for just over a couple of weeks.

You will sleep WONDERFULLY after your first tablet, which was a godsend to me. There are a few sideeffects as with any AD, but I found it easy to get onto, other than it made me really sluggish ALL day. That has now lifted thankfully, but with that my insomnia has returned. rolleyes It is helping with my motivation, & even on a low dose (15mg) it is giving me more energy now.

It might be worth giving it a go ......... but check out the reviews on here - they will prob put you off tho!

You might want to wait till after Xmas tho as it really does turn you into a zombie for a week or so.

All the best in your search for relief, my thoughts are with you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.