Take away meals and AF

Posted , 7 users are following.

Does anyone have any increase in symptoms after eating take away meals?  I seem to have a flare up in symptoms the day after eating chinese food.  Not sure if its my imagination or just coincidence.  Also relieved to read in previous posts about ringing in ears for people on bisoloprol! Thought it was yet another problem!!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Interesting, dont have many Chinese meals but... will pay attention in future. I do have mild flares with spicier meals and interestingly Ginger seem to be a common culprit. Annoying because i like it as a herb. Worth checking?
  • Posted

Hi Sylvester. From keeping a food diary I have discovered l get AF within 24 hrs of ingesting foods with preservatives(sulphites) and msg. Fluids eg wine etc with preservatives affect me within a few hours. I have found some drops which dissolve the sulphites. It's called pure wine. It's been trial and error.
    • Posted

Hi Andrew. not sure if the additive numbers are the same in the UK as in Australia but the ones l have had AF with are 200 sorbic acid, 202- potassium sorbate, 220 225 228- Sulphur dioxide, 210-218 sodium benzoate , sodium pyrophoshate and 620-625- msg.
    • Posted

Hi Robyn, yup seen a few things associated with Potassium Sorbate and MSG it does seem sorbate in general and potassium preservatives in particular arent the greatest but i cant see why unless it (sorbate) competes with Glucose in the heart muscle and so the Heart gets partially starved, but i cant see these low quantities making that sort of difference MSG has all sorts of odd effects...I will ask an expert at my next chance, Thank you! 
    • Posted

Hi Robyn and Andrew I wasnt sure but we regularly have a take away on a Saturday (my night off from cooking)  and it seemed too much of a cooincidence that on Sundays I had episodes.  I gave up wine totally - love red wine but noticed it too caused missed beats - cut right down on caffeine too.  If I find I have to give up chocolate I will really start to get upset!!
    • Posted

Now... do you work? (sorry to ask but) i no longer do (not by choice) and i know i do more at the weekend when my Wife is home (i guess try too hard would be another view) and sometimes on a Sunday i am struggling... during the week i pace myself but at weekends i go for "dont worry i am okish really..." and then on Monday take a real break.... If you do work then its the other posibility  and also why a lot of people get migraines at weekends  and teachers get more colds during holidays you push hard all week to keep going and then at weekends relax...Reading your commments i would guess more the latter than the former? However msg is a bad chemicaland is as off my list as i can get it! i do have a small glass of red or ale at weekends...indeed only the one...
    • Posted

Hi Andrew - no I dont work (well dont get a salary) I am a carer for my Mother 3 days  week so between this and my own home - every day is very much the same pace.  I will be more careful re msg as I am with alcohol etc. I can have one beer and one coffee with no ill effects but tend to stick to decaf - only having the real deal (or a beer) on high days and holidays.  Guess I will have to read labels more carefully.
    • Posted

you get used to it after a while and you begin to recognise good and bad product styles... low fat often means high sugar and so on... Good luck with it all! i know the salery feeling worked until February and now ill health "retired" hmmmm.......Being a carer is tough and looking after home too isnt easy!! Natural style products are better and again often easy to pick out once you have your eye in...
  • Posted

I'm really surprised you've not heard of Monosodium Glutamate? Its a food additive in many preparations -especially Chinese food. Its an alternative to salt and is very well known for is numerous side effects. One of these is Atrial fibrillation and other cardiac disorders.  Just Google it. MSG-AF.  
    • Posted

Thank you terence - yes had heard of MSG but hadnt tied it in to my AF episodes. Have cut out alcohol and caffeine - as writer above says I suppose it is trial and error - I am fairly new to AF.
  • Posted

I definitely think AF is related to food or drink. I have given up tea and coffee, and it has made a huge difference, and I hardly ever get AF or arrythmia now. Also, on the recommendation of another member, I started taking blackstrap molasses (1 or 2 tablespoons), two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and a sprinkling of cayenne, all mixed with a cup of hot water. I noticed a difference straightaway. I haven't taken it lately though, and cutting out the tea and coffee seems to have had the same effect. This seems to be such a widespread problem, there must be something in our food and drink that's causing it.
    • Posted

Hi Rosemary

I am on day two of this episode.  Feeling really rough,  have cut out coffee (one cup as a treat from time to time) alcohol ( again one beer occasionally) and found a difference. No fizzy drinks - as far as food is concerned we had a takeaway Saturday and I have noticed when we do I have an episode - usually just minor this one is the worst in months,  thanks for your reply.

• Posted

Hi everyone. As I said before I use those drops to dissolve preservatives and can drink certain wines with no af. I can also have preservatives free beer. Am much happier now! !! I have 3-4 cups of coffee with no problems, also chocolate is ok. but seems everyone has different triggers.. good luck discovering your individual triggers and avoiding them.
    • Posted

Hi, which beers are preservative free? I get terrible palps with certain beers, thank yiu
    • Posted

Hi Mazza. I live in Australia so you may need to investigate the beers you can get over there. The ones l have found are Coopers brand- made in south Australia and Beez Neez- another Australian beer. Happy hunting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.