Take half dose Multaq anyone? Atrial Fibrillation

Posted , 6 users are following.

Greetings to all you Afibbers out there. I am 84, have had paroxysmal Afib for 15 years, and as it was getting worse (every10 days for24 hours). I tried Amiodarone which I stood for 1 month, and it kept me Afib free for 6 months, even after stopping it. (strong stuff, but bad side effects). I then tried various others (Metaprolol Tart, Soletonol (sp?). No good for me. Now have started Multaq, 400 mg 2x day, and have not had an episode for one month. Two weeks ago I reduced the dose by 1/3, and still no Afib. Has anyone reduced the dose by 1/2? Contacted Sanofi, the maker, and they do not guarantee that the drug is consistent through the whole tablet, but if one takes half in the morning, half in the evening, well, that adds up to one full dose of 400 mg. Has anyone tried that?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Have you discussed it with your doctor? Do you know what is causing your Afib? How are your iron levels?

There is probably only one way of finding out if it will work for you.

• Posted

I've never taken it, but searching I notice it has a half-life of 13-19 hours so the effects may build up over several weeks, and then take a while to taper back down. Given the long half-life it's a bit odd that the standard dosing seems to be twice a day, but probably has to do with better absorption.

I'm a big pill splitter, it sounds OK to me, but apparently Multaq is a pretty serious medication so, well, be careful.

Glad to hear that it's working for you!

• Posted

Hello mohoog

Have you thought about having a placemaker as an option for you.

Medications can cause falls and falls can result in a fractured hip.

Apparently it is simple procedure inserting a placemaker.

Keep well sending my best wishes for the New Year

• Posted

pacemaker spelling error sorry

May improve your quality of life

• Posted

Thank you all for your responses. I will check with my doctor. In the meantime I am taking 200 mg 2x a day, so far with no episodes. Hope it works.

• Posted

I currently take a half a Multaq 400 per day (at least the last 6 months). Was at 2 a day, cut it to one a day. Doctor approved (gave up telling me) trying one a day. I tried skipping the half-pill a day every 2 or 3 days or so but had an episode of irregularity and shortness of breath during exercise. Resumed the half pill and slow-breathed myself back to a normal heartrate within a day. I'm 57, have had one (successful) cardio version in Feb 2018. Not overweight, exercise semi-regularly and eat smart. Not sure if that helps. Read up, and try and control the possible triggers. I'm not remotely connected to the medical field but it seems a blanket subscribed dosage of 2 pills a day is a bit random. Good luck : )

• Posted

Thanks for your response. I cut mine to two-thirds, 2X a day and was okay for two weeks; cut it in half, 2x day for four days, and had the first episode in five weeks, (lasting about17 hours) since starting Multaq. I bounced back to the 400 2x day, as the smaller dose did not work for me, obviously. My age may have something to do with it... I have 30 years on you! But if the 200 once a day is working for you, go for it!

• Posted

This is my first post and wonder if anyone has experience that might help. I have been cardioverted 8 weeks ago. I was prescribed 2 x 400mg Multaq daily for a week before hand & have continued taking it afterwards. For the first time I am still in Sinus Rythm longer than the 3 weeks achieved in 6 previous attempts. The ironic thing is that I have on every occasion reverted to SR on the first shock. So while i am delighted with outcome I am suffering from severe muscular fatigue since starting the Multaq. Am wondering if anyone out there has come up with a way to mitigate this side effect? Thanks to all.

• Posted

To

fergus10854:I had to give up Multaq. It was not working for me as I had Afib every 10 days or two weeks, and it made me sooooo fatigued.I am not on any Afib drug at the moment, and the frequency is the same. Am considering cardio ablation, but the idea makes me nervous.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.