Take how long did you do therapy

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm 9 weeks p.o. on total knee replacement revaluation for therapy again how long has everyone done therapy I do good till after therapy then my leg doubles in size does anyone else do this I have 105 bend on my own therapist pushes it to 110 but I pay for it afterwards

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

LTKR May 2017 with post op complications; now at 9 months post op I have had 45 therapy sessions but I avoided surgery to straighten my leg thru diligent PT and stretching. You are still early in recovery so Ice, elevate and rest after PT. Everyone heals at their own rate so be patient. Read Chico Marx and Old Fat Guy posts for excellent advice. You are doing great! I will replace my right knee in August and hope to do as well as you are doing now! Best wishes for continued recovery. 
  • Posted

I'm 5 months post op and am going through the same thing as you. I stopped all exercises for 2 weeks because I was going for a second opinion and in those two weeks my knee was feeling better. I started exercising again just recently and am back to pain and swelling. It doesn't make sense because we have to exercise to make the knee better but exercise seems to make it more painful. I'm fighting through the pain in hopes it will eventually feel better but it is so damn frustrating.

• Posted

I am 23 days post TKR, had a partial knee done on left leg a year ago. Not sure about everyone but I too had much more swelling after physicial therapy. If it continues tell therapist. I am having very painful calf swelling lately, even ice and elevation aren't helping. ?????

• Posted

I had bilateral tkr’s and had 2 weeks in rehab after op then no more therapy of any sort.  I’m 28 months on from surgery.  If I overdo things, my knees swell, sometimes one, sometimes both.  Our new knees are never going to be the same as our old ones.  You are still very early on in your recovery.  I don’t know why they measure the bend so much and push it for another 5 cms.  As long as they do bend a fair way, you’re doing fine.  Best wishes.

sue xx

• Posted

Thanks everyone I guess I'm just expecting to much to soon it is very frustrating

• Posted

I started week 4 post-op; had some basic in-home therapy but the heavy-duty stuff stated week 4.  Did 10 weeks at 2X/week plus the home exercises.  Went from -14 / +84 to -1 / +123 at the 3 month p/o mark.  Now, 2 years later, it's more like 0 / +133 after lots of walking and some gym work.  My recovery got sidelined at 8 months by spinal stenosis so I'm a bit unusual on the long-term stuff.  Most people are completely done at the 1 year mark with some residual stiffness, clunking sounds, etc. lasting 12-18 months.  The nerve sensations in your knee while kneeling lessen but can last for many years or never go away completely.  ALL NORMAL!!!

• Posted

Hello patriac1945

I am in my 13th week p o but my bend is 95 pushed .

It appears that you may be pushing yourself a bit too hard to get the bend too quickly and

This may be causing the swelling in your knee.

After daily exercise and physio you should not get the swelling up.

My suggestion is you take it easy and go along with your body 

My physio said it takes quite a while to get the 120 bend probably a year or so

I would avoid accessive exercise if it gives swelling to your knee

By the way I have not had any reverse swelling due to exercise although my bending is slow but steady

Good luck

Dal

• Posted

My bend increased a lot around 12 weeks simply due to swelling reduction. You shouldn't be paying for it afterwards...I would suggest you focus on swelling reduction and just keep up the exercises you do yourself..

What country are you in?

There is no way you need to cause your leg to double in size!

How much does it hurt when pushed like that?

How long does it take to go back to how it was before it was forced?

Does your PT know that this is what happens afterwards? If not make sure you tell them?

Causing excessive swelling isn't going to help anything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.