Taken an extra dose of Lercanidipine by mistake.

Posted , 4 users are following.


I have been taking 10 mg Lercanidipine for high blood pressure for eight years.

Today I have taken an extra dose by mistake. I took the second dose five hours after the first.

I mean't to take my antidepressant but took the second dose of the Lercanidipine by instead.

I know 20 mg are prescribed for some people as it says in the leaflet but I am just concerned about taking the extra one.

What should I do.

My BP at present is 141/81 and pulse is 75

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

  • Posted

    I don't know that drug specifically but it seems a dihydropyridine calcium channel blocker like amlodipine (but better, from what I read!). It clears faster than amlodipine. I think one larger dose should not be a problem, it doesn't sound like your BP is suffering!

    How long between the time you took the extra dose and the time you got that BP reading?

    Is that a typical reading for you? Perhaps you could do with a larger dose anyhow!

    • Posted

      Many thanks for your reply.

      I took my BP about 10 minutes after I took my second dose.

      Two hours later BP was 135/75 then two hours after that 122/70

      I have felt O.K. today, I just paniked when I realised I took two doses.

  • Posted

    I take 20mg Lercanidipine daily plus 100mg Losartan and 50mg Atenolol so I don't think you have need of concern - if you feel dizzy (if your BP is lower than normal) just take it steady.

    • Posted

      Thank you for your reply.

      My B.P. did go lower during the evening but it does tend to vary a lot.

      I have felt O.K. I just panicked when I realised I had taken two doses

      I suffer from hypothryoidism which can have a bearing on B.P.

  • Posted

    For any blood pressure drug if yours is below maximum recommended dosage taking an extra dose too early is not a problem.If your BP is lower than normal just take it easy as drug is metabolised.I'm on four drugs for resistant hypertension and I've taken higher doses accidently on occasions with no ill effects.Dont worry no harm done.

  • Posted

    Many thanks for your reply.

    I have felt O.K. today I just panicked when I realised I had taken two doses.

    This may not be relevant to you but I would just mention that I am hypothyroid and this can have a bearing on B.P. My father had resistant hypertension and I sometimes wonder if he in fact had a thyroid problem that was causing his problem with B.P.

    Hypothyroidism is very often not diagnosed because of the very wide referance ranges.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.