Taken too many Senna tablets

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello I am a bit worried as I have taken 11 senna tablets over the last 2 days after misunderstanding the dosage. I haven't been to the toilet yet but really worried about what is going to happen over the next few hours, is this dangerous? Thanks

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Christine. What dosage instructions were you going by? In answer to your question, it depends on the cause of your constipation and length of time. I am not a doctor and senna is readily available over the counter so I don't think overdose is life threatening but I should imagine you will probably get some intense stomach cramps and providing you don't have a blockage, you will probably have lose bowels for a couple of days. Try not to worry as worry will only make symptoms worse. I am sure you will be ok but if your unsure or experience anything alarming like vomiting or bleeding then go to the doctors or hospital.

• Posted

Thanks for that Gabriella, I thought I was supposed to take 2 every four hours so had 8 yesterday and I had another 3 today before I realised you are only supposed to take 2 a day!! I have been constipated for a few days now as I am currently taking co-codomal and one of the side effects of that is constipation. I guess I am just in for an uncomfortable night then, just needed to know whether it is dangerous or not xx
    • Posted

I think you're going to be fine just try to make sure you're near a toilet and don't plan to be far away from home xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.