Taken twice my dose of steroids

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi my grandad is on steroids for a chest infection. He was told to take 8 tablets a day. My uncle gave him today’s dose but my grandad forgot that he had taken them, so my nan give him another 8. Is this dangerous? Many thanks Stacey x

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stacey....

I would think there'd be some information about this situation on the sheet in the box.

But I googled the question and on an NHS website it said:

*Accidentally taking too many steroid tablets is unlikely to be harmful if it's a one-off. Speak to your doctor or a pharmacist if you're worried.*

• Posted

Thank you Janet I tried google but wasn’t giving me a straight answer. But you’ve put me and my family’s mind at rest xx
  • Posted

Don’t worry too much it is better than forgetting to take them. Some people are given as many as 80mg a day for some illnesses. 8mg is a pretty low dose so doubling up is not too bad.
    • Posted

Hi thank you for your reply, but It’s not 8mg. he’s taken 16 tablets n I think they r either 2mg or 5mg  each not too sure xx
    • Posted

That is a much larger dose. If you are worried check with the doctor. As I said some people are on 80mg a day so he has not overdosed. He should just carry on as normal from now on though as if nothing had happened. 
  • Posted

Hello Stacey

I did that one time and was okay..depends on the mg....however I would give either the doctor a call to let him know or call your pharmacist for their thoughts if you can't get your doctor.

• Posted

Not on a one-off case no. Just don't do it again - that was probably 40mg which is a high dose anyway and he took double, 80mg, a dose which is used for some illnesses for a couple of weeks.He'll have been high as kite I expect? 

Go to the chemist and ask for a dosette box for a week's worth of tablets - count out the tablets for each day and then only use that box - you can see if today's dose has already been taken.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.