Taking 15/500mg co codamol since June am I addicted?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi everybody. I've been reading about codeine addiction on here. I had back surgery last June am taking recommended dosage but husband says I'm addicted as take every day.Only on 15/500 100 tablets that Dr prescribes every 3 weeks .Am not taking to get high but if taking every day then guess I am.When my husband said he would throw my pills away I was angry to point of hiding pills???😯

0 likes, 97 replies

97 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Amanda

You could be struggling to sleep with the decrease in codiene. This is something I struggled with and also if I took too much I couldnt sleep.

• Posted

Hi Sally and Didi. I always struggle to sleep but am o.k. once asleep? Perhaps it's codeine reduction that's doing it.

• Posted

Hi Amanda. there is a great book I recommend. It's called The Chimp Paradox by Prof. Steve Peters. It helps you control irrational thinking and dvelop good habits. Love Drew xxx

• Posted

Hi Drew.I will have a look for the book.Where do you live by the way? Sorry I'm just being nosey.Hope you are feeling good today.Love Amanda xxx

• Posted

That's ok Amanda. Be nosey... it's fine. I live in Essex UK. xxx Drew

Hope you're feeling better today xx

• Posted

Hi Drew.Yes I do feel better today. Is Essex a nice place to live? I''ve never been there.Or Sussex or the south east.I've been to Brighton many years ago.I live in Staffordshire. Lived and grew up in Birmingham. I hope your o.k. too.😻💙💜💖💝👊👍 xxx

• Posted

Staffordshire is a nice part of the country. I used to travel through there a lot at one time because I have friends in Lancashire. hope you feel better today xx Drew
    • Posted

Yes I do! Have got few days off work until Friday.Staffordshire is lovely. Are you o.k.? We are awake at 1 am.lol.I'm watching celeb big brother live.Lol. Xxx

• Posted

Yes ha ha. It's nice to have someone to talk to. My family don't even know I'm going through this. I hope you're having a better day xxx Drew

• Posted

Drew..Why haven't you told your family? Are you scared? I'm always here if you need someone to talk to.I know what you mean though. They don't and can't understand unless you have experienced it.Let's do this prayer We are NOT afraid because if God be for us.Who can be against us! I am you are on the way to freedom.'👊👍💖💜

• Posted

Hi Amanda. I am single so don't have to worry about a partner but my son would worry terribly and so would my mum, dad and sisters. I did mention it once to my son but I lied about how much I was taking. He would be horrified to know that it can be over 64 tablets a day. I should have been honest years ago. That's why I struggle with going cold turkey. I would have to pretend I was ill. Last time, my family got worried about me so I had to stop the cold turkey and take tablets to function. I was thinking that I should disappear on holiday for 2 weeks and go and cold turkey somewhere. Thanks for your understanding Amanda. xx Drew

• Posted

My mother only found out about my addiction when I had kicked the habit the first time and announced it on facebook. She treated me like sh*t and turned her back on me,instead of being supportive and offering help if I needed it,which is how I would respond to my kids. You never know how people are going to react which is why we do keep it on the down low..
    • Posted

Hi Didi. That is such a shame and fancy announcing it on FB. I am terrified how my family would react. I feel I will have to share it with them soon though and hope for the best. Love Drew xx
    • Posted

Oh Drew..I do hope you get better. I'm getting better as I'm not taking pain killers first thing but got to say my anxiety is getting higher.Hope your o.k. ?💪👍 xxx

• Posted

That is so sad that she did that to you..That's why I don't do FB.Your mums reaction was harsh and she wasn't thinking properly.I'm feeling anxious and paranoid not to extent of a year ago but I don't like myself at moment. Feel a loser.Hope you feel better soon 👍💖👱

• Posted

Hey. So lovely to hear from you. I am so pleased you are making some progress. It's almost 2 a.m. here and I feel groggy because my codeine is wearing off. I will not take any more tonight if I can help it. I feel very down when it wears off. Keep going strong Amanda. I'm with you xxx Drew

• Posted

Hi again A. Maybe your doctor could help with your anxiety. I know the feeling but please don't take codeine to remedy it xxx Drew

• Posted

Amanda. You are not a loser. You are very brave and trying to be honest about your situation and, more important, trying to do something about it. Those are NOT the actions of a loser. Drew xxx
    • Posted

It is what it is, that is her. Try and think of the way you will feel once you have kicked this. Unfortunately anxiety comes with "coming down" but it does get better, I promise. You are NOT a loser. None of us set out to be a prisoner of this rubbish. The medical and pharmaceutical professions have a lot to answer for.

Just as an eg I have a client on 7 different heavy medications for his back pain. The side effects of each of these include back.pain and muscular pain and spasms. He had no idea as he isnt on the Internet. Scary thing is he is also on the roads with us.

• Posted

Hi Drew,

Thank you but that is her.My boys were very supportive and encouraging as were the rest of my family. I think the thing with me being open about it, they know there are real dangers with the stuff. MY eldest, hurt his back at work and doesn't have the time to go to the dr as he works nightshift. He started self medicating with N+ but was very wary of what it could become. Stay strong x

• Posted

Thankyou so much. I went till 4 pm today without any painkiller but my neck really hurt.I had to take some.Then was anxious as had to go and have check up at doctor's. Have put on so much weight. I'm struggling to do this. I've got to have another 2 now. But that's well under what y xou can have!xxx

• Posted

I've woken up at 10.Not taken anything till 4pm .My neck hurts.Got work tomorrow and just spent probably an hour preparing for one to one.I don't think I'm addicted. I need painkillers because I have pain! My neck surgery wasn't ever going to cure it.I was just positive about outcome .So I hope your o.k. and beating addiction. I'm addicted to alcohol and cigarettes. And I still feel a loser.Lost my Dad and cat last year.I struggle through life.I must pray more ?👍

• Posted

Amanda did you have fusion on your neck?

I am a remedial massage therapist. How long ago was your surgery?

• Posted

Hi Amanda. Sorry to hear you are in pain. I am addicted to cigarettes too. I am trying to give them up too. I noticed you said you need to pray. Are you religious? love Drew xxx
    • Posted

Hi Drew.Yes I am.I have faith and thank God I'm better than I was a year ago. I don't go to church every week But I pray.And believe prayer power works.Do you have any belief or faith that we have a soul? love Amanda x xxx Hope your ok xxx

• Posted

I had fusion I think? They had to replace my C5 6 and 7 discs.Had artificicial replacement cages put in and have titanium screws in my neck.The lovely surgeon who was such a kind person went in through my neck.My surgery was in 2012.Do you know anything to help neck pain?
    • Posted

Didi you don't have to answer this question but I'm a nosey Parker! Where do you live? U.K. or U S A or neither? I live in U.K the Midlands. Ie.Not near the sea x

• Posted

Hi Amanda. I am spiritual and I believe there are forces we don't understand but I'm not religious. I am glad you get some strength from it xx Drew

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.