Taking .25 or .5 klonopin every night for a month. How do I taper?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking .25 sometime .5 klonopin to help with my sleep at night.  My doctor started me on an anti-depressant.  How do I taper off klonopin.  Any suggestions greatly appreciate it.  

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

It is recommended that you taper off Klonopin slowly to allow your body to slowly adjust but because you have only been on on it for about a month you would probably be able to taper quicker than most people. Here is the link to The Ashton Manual which has been the withdrawal 'bible' for thousands of people - it certainly was for me. https://benzo.org.uk/manual

• Posted

Hi. I was on .25 Klonopin twice a day for 3 months. My doc had me cut the daytime dose in half to .125 for 2-3 weeks, then I dropped to nothing. After another 2 weeks, I cut my nighttime dose in half to .125. In a week, I will drop that as well. I didn't have any withdrawal. I was also started on an antidepressant, citalopram.

• Posted

We're you doing the klonopin at the same time you were taking celexa? My doctor told me take celexa in the morning and 1mg klonopin at night to sleep. Then when the celexa kicks in don't need klonopin anymore.

• Posted

We're you doing the klonopin at the same time you were taking celexa? My doctor told me take celexa in the morning and 1mg klonopin at night to sleep. Then when the celexa kicks in don't need klonopin anymore.

• Posted

Yes. I started the Klonopin the same time as the celexa. I'm on 15 mg of celexa now, which seems like a weird dose, but it works for me. I'm really sensitive to meds though. Good luck!

• Posted

cherylcheryl123, hello I have a question. I read you took the klonopin 3 months and stopped after celexa kicked in? Two days ago I started zoloft. I cannot take it at night it kept me awake. Today was the first taking it in the morning. I have not had much luck with sleeping pills. My doctor thinks zoloft will kick in about 2 weeks. In the meantime she wants me to do .5 klonopin every night for sleep. I don't like this drug because of all the scary stories I've read. How come yours was three month? Did you ever try other sleeping meds?

• Posted

Hi! My anxiety was sooo severe is why my doc started me on Klonopin. Every time I would try and start an antidepressant the start up anxiety from the med would just about send me over the edge. (I tried Zoloft too, but it made my anxiety worse). When she started me on the celexa, she had me start on 2.5mg, so basically a fourth of a pill. She then would have me raise the dosage by 2.5 every two weeks... I've found I'm now very sensitive to meds. So it took me a month and a half to even get to 10mg. This helped me avoid the start up side effects along with the low dose of Klonopin. Have you tried maybe even .25 of the Klonopin? That may be enough, then when it comes to tapering you won't have as much to taper from if you end up taking it for longer than a few weeks. Anyway, that is why I was on it so long, it took me a long time to build up my dose. I'm not on 15mg of celexa (a pill and a half) and I feel like I'm getting better! I hope my answer helps! I was petrified of the Klonopin too. So I understand. Fortunately I didn't have any ill effects and it was something I needed at the time!

• Posted

I never tried any other sleeping meds, so I don't know anything about those.

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. Yes I've had insomnia since April. I tried a variety of sleep meds didn't. I did not know what was wrong with me. I had many doctors want me on anti depressants back then even celexa but I refused. It has taken me a long time to realize I've been suffering from stress depression and now anxiety. I'm 45 years old. I also take a hormone called Premarin due to a hysterectomy I had in 2012. I did 1mg klonopin off and on then .5. Yes it helps me sleep. I found a new doctor who told me I need to start an anti depressant. I'm on my third day with zoloft 25mg. It caused me insomnia. Doctor said today for 2 weeks do .5 or 1mg for 2 weeks. That scares me. Did celexa give you insomnia? The last few nights I did .25 klonopin but I only get 3-4 hours sleep. It may been because I was doing the zoloft and it was keeping me awake. One of the side effects.

• Posted

The celexa doesn't give me insomnia. Do you take your Zoloft in the morning rather than before bed? I did have some insomnia when I was switching meds...I would wake up every 2 hours or so. I think the Zoloft could make the insomnia a little worse at first as a side effect, but then most likely it will get better. They say the worst of the side effects subside after two weeks. I agree with this as well. I think now that my body is getting used to the celexa the side effects are pretty much gone. The only thing I have is it feels like my body is vibrating when I first wake up.... But I think I had that before I went on the celexa. The Klonopin did help me sleep and I think the celexa did too. I hope the Zoloft does the same for you!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.