Taking 25mg amitripline, want to stop taking it

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ive been using 25mg amitriptyline for migraine headache, i was told by dr that it will block headaches from coming.. for 4 days ive been taking this med. & it has me sluggish, tired, dry mouth, & dilusion thoughts ( is this normal) Although the few nights i have taken it, i havent had a headache, i just feel tightness & dilusional thought in my mind, feels very scary, want to stop taking them. Everyone around me says, im not the same person i once was.. feelind sad/ very emotional.. what to do, im so confussed, help please

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello lynn. Unfortunately these are the side effects you can expect from the tablets. My daughter and I were both prescribed them for migraine prevention but found after a few weeks you do get used to them.
  • Posted

They are typical side affects , maybe should try a lower dose and work up over a few weeks . PamĀ 
  • Posted

I was on Amitrptyline myself...i have been off for two weeks...the pills basically msde me maniac....now two weeks after am still having a little withdrawal symptoms...does anyone know how long withdrawal symptom last far.
  • Posted

I am taking it for the same thing and it took 8 weeks to start working. I was seeing a neurolgist and he told me if I stopped taking it, we would never know if it worked since it takes a long time to. I felt beyond sluggish (passing out very early at night) and felt in a daze everyday. If you however do not feel comfortable than ask your doctor for something else.
  • Posted

Hi

My consultant prescribed me 10mg for abdo pain associated with IBS.

I've been taking them at night. I try to take them before 8pm otherwise I'm really sluggish in the morning. I cannot wake up before 10.30 if I'm not working. It's awful. Then I go through periods in the day of being really sleepy. Almost to the point of wanting to go to sleep!!

I think it's getting better. Although not really helping much with my tummy pain. I'm waiting for a colonoscopy in feb. Hopefully after that I can come off them because I don't like taking them. Also I've been having weird dreams too and feeling a bit depressed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.