Taking 60mg day Prednisone - is weakness a side effect?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello!

I have just had 3 days of IV methylprednisone, 1g per day and now on 60mg predispose daily and have been for two weeks. I feel weak and shaky the whole time but I do have episodes when I feel it's worse. It is proper weakness so I will struggle to open a bottle etc. Has anyone experienced this? Weakness can be a symptom of my condition but I have not experienced this before my treatment, so trying to work out if its the steroids. 

Thanks!

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It could well be. I also had three days of IV steroids last year to control an IBD flare and felt very weak, shaky (and weepy) afterwards. I wasn't sure if it was lack of sleep as the IV meds were given over the course of each day with the last dose quite late at night which prevented me from sleeping but I also do think it's the effect of the drugs on the adrenal system. 60mg is a very high dose. Do you take it in one go or divide it into 2 x 30mg morning and afternoon? I was advise to take 40mg in 2 x 20mg morning and afternoon but not after 2.00pm. Do you notice the weakness and shaking is worse or better at different times of day and worse immediately after you have taken a dose?

• Posted

I was recently on 30mg for two weeks (and then tapering off), and I felt like I constantly had low blood sugar or something (even if I had just eaten)... weak, shaky etc. So I think it is a normal side effect. 
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully it’s the steroids then. 

I did think the dose was high and in the context of me being a 5ft 3 woman as well! I have to take the full dose first thing in the morning. 

• Posted

Goodness, that is an insanely high dosage then! rolleyes I'm also a small female (a measly 45kg) and I already felt those effects at 30mg!

• Posted

I was on 5 x 1gram infusions if Methylprednisolone, alongside 80mg Prednisolone tablets daily (for Vasculitis). It made me feel very aggressive, hungry and tired (due to not sleeping). I developed Cushing Syndrome too (moon face). But it didn't make me feel weak or shaky.

• Posted

I’m heavier than you Anja ☺️.

Your dose was very high Kathleen. I also had 5 days of plasma exchange and I now have the moon face. I also had loads of spots from the steroids but theankfully they have calmed down! 

• Posted

I was 5ft 2", now 4ft 8". Unfortunately insanely high steroid doses are part of the treatment to get the disease under control. neutral

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.